e-mail message size

MalcSP 10:43 09 Jan 03
  MalcSP 10:43 09 Jan 03

A colleague persists in trying to send e-mails with attachments of between 3Mb and 60 Mb to places such as China. The server is an Internet domain running under Windows 2000. The modem runs at 115,000bps over ISDN lines. The local e-mail system constantly comes up with 'too many threads' and no-one can either receive or send e-mails. Is there a technical solution or is e-mail discipline the answer? Is there a recommended maximun=m size?

giimgiim 11:32 09 Jan 03

Simple answer is to disconnect your colleague from the network. :-)

They need to learn a bit of e-mail discipline and etiquette.

Realistically e-mail attachments over 1MB are just not on.Most ISP restrict them to that size and bounce back any larger files.

Even if your colleague were to use a file splitter and send the bits individually, chances are they would still jam up your e-mail system.

I dont have a technical solution. There are other ways to transfer files but the limiting factor will still be the speed/bandwidth of your internet connection. You might be able to free up your mail system locally but your internet connection would still still get a bit overloaded.

Can they not burn them to CD and post them?

DieSse 11:50 09 Jan 03

Just as an aside - your modem does not run at 115,000. ISDN is either 64,000 if ona single channel (most likely) - or 128,000 if you're using both channels.

The 115,000 speed you are reading is the comm port speed between the modem and the system.

Pesala 12:37 09 Jan 03

Your colleague is trying to do a job, and is busy like the rest of us, but very little education and training could make a big difference.

Have a word with you colleague. What kind of attachments is he/she sending? PDF files can get very large, but they can easily be compressed without much loss of quality. When I published a 100 page book as a PDF from WordPerfect, the default settings resulted in a file of 19 Mbytes. Changing the graphics setting to JPG at low quality (still good enough for viewing purposes) the file size reduced to just over 2 Mbytes.

Graphic images are the other main culprit. There is no excuse for sending uncompressed graphics by email. Irfan View is free and very handy for converting bitmaps and tiff images to JPG format. Savings can be 80% or more. Irfan View is only 1 Mbytes and loads as fast as notepad, so no excuse for not using it.

Archiving is also easy. With an archive program installed, right-click the file(s) in Windows Explorer to zip them into an archive.

MalcSP 14:37 09 Jan 03

Thanks Pesala, DieSse and giimgiim. Your input is welcome and reassuring. However, can you tell me what the modem is likely to be running at or how can I find out? Also, messages up to 3MB do go out after a time so maybe the maximum size is a little more than 1MB?

giimgiim 22:58 09 Jan 03

From your initial post I got the idea your network is running it's own mailserver. I dont think ISP limits would apply then,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…