e mail JPEG attachement not opening.

Newuser857 14:01 13 Mar 04

A friend of mine who runs windows ME regularly receives e mail from a Swiss friend some of which contain photo attachments. Now her system has stopped opening the attachment saying 'invalid format or format not supported' The image was only standard JPEG, which opened when forwarded to me. We have looked at the security tab in options but that is OK . Any ideas please ?

VoG II 14:11 13 Mar 04

Save attachment to disk. Shift+right click, Open With and select graphics program.

Stuartli 14:23 13 Mar 04

In OE's Tools>Options>Security tab disable (unchekc) Do not save or open attachments which could potentially house a virus.

It's not very effective and an AV program is far more efficient.

pj123 14:46 13 Mar 04

Download a copy of Irfanview (free) from click here save the attachments to disk and use Irfanview to view them.

Stuartli 14:54 13 Mar 04

If Irfanview is your default viewer then the attachments should open in any case.

They may have been originally worked on in a format that should not have been changed to a .jpeg - I find that ArcSoft PhotoImpression files don't like it and a warning usually comes up.

pj123 15:29 13 Mar 04

Stuartli. Understand what you are saying but my default viewer is Paint Shop Pro. I never open attachments in email anyway. I always save them first (providing I know who they are from). Sometimes PSP won't open jpegs giving the same error as Newuser857 has, but Irfanview or ThumbsPlus will.

Newuser857 16:52 13 Mar 04

I have now downloaded a copy of Irfan and will install it on her computer, should she wish it of course, when I get the chance.

Thanks again to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…