e-mail images

Newuser2533 22:06 28 Apr 03

I am assisting in the transcription of 1861 census.
At the moment copies are sent to me by snail mail and I transcribe from these onto a data base.
If an image of the census page was sent as an e-mail (it's about an A4 size sheet) how would I get it into Kodak imaging so as I could enlarge the writing. As you may appreciate the writing in 1861 sometimes leaves a lot to be desired and it is only with a magnifying glass that I can, at present, make sense of some of the words.
Regards.
Ron

DieSse 23:08 28 Apr 03

The image will almost certainly be sent to you as a jpg file attachment.

When you click on the attachment paperclip, you get the choice to open or save the image - choose save, and then save it into your My Picture, or My Documents folder - or make a new folder just for these particular images.

Then you can open it with almost any image viewing program, and zoom in on it to any size that suits.

Pesala 23:15 28 Apr 03

If the scanned images are sent to you as images in JPG format they will be reasonably compact and you should be able to open them in Kodak imaging by double-clicking on them in your email program, but it depends what your default viewer is for JPG images.

Since the originals are text, JPG is not such a good format to use for sharp images. TIFF is better, but too big for emailing. PNG seems to be best, and is fairly compact. Probably you will find that a 100 dpi scan is adequate. I had no trouble reading a 50 dpi scan of a letter hand-written in blue biro.

Irfan View click here is a handy Image viewer for PNG images. If your default JPG program is Photoshop etc, you can set Irfan View as your default for PNG graphics.

click here for my earlier thread on the Pros and Cons of different graphic formats for different tasks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…