E Mail Hijack!

swanson2 10:34 10 Nov 05

Hi,

A friend of mine has asked me to help him with a problem that is bothering his wife.

She has been told by a number of people that they have received e-mails from her that she says she has not sent.

The e-mails appear to be "copies" of ones that she has sent in the past but interfered with to embarass her.

I can only think that someone has got hold of her email address, password etc but she maintains that she has never divulged it to any third party.

Other than stop using her current e-mail address which she doesn't want to do I am at a loss as what to suggest

Would a complaint/query to her e-mail provider or the police be of any use?

Any suggestions welcomed.

PaulB2005 10:40 10 Nov 05

1) Change the password. Use something secure. long and with numbers and letters. Make it difficult to guess.

2) Make sure your AntiVirus is up todate and do a full scan.

3) Download, install , update and scan with

Adaware click here
Spybot click here
Spyware Blaster - click here
If running XP MS Anti Spyware click here

5) Do an additonal online scan at click here, click here and click here

to make sure you have covered all bases.

5) Would a complaint/query to her e-mail provider or the police be of any use?

Yes. See if they can establish whats going on.

pauldonovan 11:34 10 Nov 05

..do you mean it contains some of the *actual* content?

Or just the from/to addresses?

Viruses can harvest email addresses from someone your wife has sent email to, then send emails with her address as a 'from' address on to anyone.

In short, anyone can send an email with your email address as the 'from' and there isn't anything you can do to stop it. If content that could only be from her emails i.e. the body of the emails is in there then again i'd imagine either it was done from your PC or someone got onto the recipients PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…