E-mail error message

grandad89 14:10 09 Aug 03

Does know what this message refers to - Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'uk2', Server: 'smtp.uk2.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 40, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I get this every time I try to send an e-mail using UK2.net which is getting annoying. There is no problem receiving e-mails. I'm using outlook express 6.

krypt1c 15:07 09 Aug 03

Are you logged onto uk2.net when trying to send mail ? You can retreive mail from most pop servers, but can normally only send mail from the account you're logged onto.

jazzypop 18:16 09 Aug 03
  grandad89 12:53 10 Aug 03

Thanks all

I am on ntl broadband at home and modem dial up at work and do not have any trouble sending or receiving mail using ntl. It only is a problem when trying to send using UK2 which is for our work e-mail (as we can then use our own registered name and not @ntlworld.com).I use the home machine to check for work e-mails and to down load large files for work etc.
We do not have Norton Antivirus on the machines only Norton Firewall and McAfee Antivirus - I have checked the settings on these for script blocking etc and e-mail checking and everything seems to be in order.

It's still a puzzle

big staff 13:18 10 Aug 03

Grandad, it sounds like your O/E account settings are incorrect. You should check the outgoing mail (SMTP) settings. You can only get these from your isp. Do you know how to check/change them?

DieSse 13:36 10 Aug 03

If you're talking about home, where you have ntl, it's unlikely you can send as your UK2 name.

Most servers will not allow you to send except with the settings/addresses for their own connection (as krypt1c) siad.

You may be able to do so via the UK2 web site, if they support web-mail (most do these days).

krypt1c 13:51 10 Aug 03

There is a way around sending mail when not connected as the account you want to send mail from.
EG.You have 2 isp accounts - say freeserve & virgin.
Freeserve outgoing server will be someting like
smtp.freeserve.net & virgin will be something like smtp.virgin.net
If you connnect using your freeserve account you will be able to retrieve any email account, but will only be able to send on your freeserve account. However, if you amend your virgin account to use smtp.freeserve.net you will be able to send mail using your virgin account via the freeserve server.

grandad89 18:43 10 Aug 03

I've set up the account exactly as UK2 said i.e. - receiving = mail.uk2.net and sending = smtp.uk2.net. As I said, it has never worked from home but it has worked from the office but now it doesn't.
have a look at click here - domains are free and e-mail is free and web access only cost what your local connection costs.

Still a puzzle

thanks so far

grandad89 19:41 01 Sep 03

Got to say that the problem did not go away and I have now changed SP and they are coming Thursday to install broadband. Cost will be greater than dial up to UK2 but hopefully we will be able to get e-mail going again and will be "always on"

thanks for the help and responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…