e mail adresses just a word of warning

patso 13:53 09 May 05

after recently using a pc in a public library i was checking a site which needed my e mail to log on to.when i typed in the first letter previous adresses of users came up so beware of using public pcs as previous info is not wiped out and your adress could fall in to the wrong hands.

g0slp 14:13 09 May 05

In such cases it might be worth letting the library staff know - 'auto-complete' functions in browsers on public machines should be disabled, in my opinion.

Belatucadrus 14:17 09 May 05

Very true, but if you still feel the need or have to use a public access PC, at the end of the session go into Internet Properties and clear out Cookies, Files and History from the general tab and then go to the Content tab, click on the autocomplete button and clear Forms and Passwords. This will not protect you from keyloggers, but will clear most of your history from IE and is vastly better than leaving your details behind.

You can also put in the first letter of your details (in the entry box once you have logged out- as if you were "Going in again"!!) which will bring up the matching entries in the computer, hover over your entry with the cursor and press delete to remove it (if you cannot get into Temp Int. files or don't want to !)

pauldonovan 14:40 09 May 05

..and i'd hope that most email providers have switched off any kind of auto complete for passwords and have them asterisked-out also.

I always clear everything out as per the above if I use a public internet station.

pj123 16:10 09 May 05

I'm not sure that matters very much. I have never been on a "public" PC but I still gets lots of spam. So where do they get my email address from?

pauldonovan 16:42 09 May 05

..this isn't where spam comes from in most cases - I suspect the concern was privacy/access to your email but of course that requires a password usually.

Spam as far as I can tell comes from having your email address:

i) Easily guessable e.g. [email protected] is gonna get one hell of a lot of spam.

ii) Using it on web sites (e.g. forums, newsgroups).

iii) I believe that your address being on lots of address lists out there (e.g. where you/your friends engage in lots of joke emails with big to/cc lists) has an impact. Seems to at work.

p;3 19:50 09 May 05

as regards passwords; especially on public machines; when you type in your info there shoul;d be a screan asking if you "wish windows to remember this "; I always say NO machines that I am at all suspect about or that
I wish to remain anonymous on; a machine I have spent time fixing from a bad infection, on it I have
logged into this forum and deliberately
selected NO to remember my password:)

on some machines I too do as above and clear its memory:)

patso 13:11 10 May 05

all sound advice and i have notified the library anyway just in case.

patso 13:16 10 May 05

also in reply to pauldonovan and spam you are probably right as i recently set up an e mail for my wife and before she even used it avg had found two viruses sent to her address and put them in the vault so much of it must be guess work and easy addresses to decipher.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac