E-mail address published in error

buckland 00:13 12 Sep 08

A leading national newspaper has published my e-mail address in error in one of its Internet columns. Following an urgent exchange of e-mails the address has been removed within approximately 4 hours of being displayed. Should I be worried about this and, if so, can anyone suggest please what damage limitation can be taken to avoid any potential problems? Any comments would be appreciated. Regards, Buckland.

DieSse 00:22 12 Sep 08

Probably the worst that will happen is that you may get spam (or more spam than before).

You could change your email address - but that may be overkill.

You'll be surprised how easy it actually is to live with spam. My email addresses are knocking about all over the place (for various reasons) - and I live with that.

You email provider may already offer some spam protection.

Presumably you already have good AV and malware protection anyway - so no harm should come to the system as long as you have good ones, and keep them updated.

I doubt if 4 hours was enough to get your email harvested by spammers anyway - but you never really know.

buckland 19:06 12 Sep 08

Many thanks DieSse for your re-assuring comment. There have been no signs of any disasters and as you say the exposure time was short; I am glad I spotted it as early as I did. Am going to run my security stuff daily for the next few days just to be sure. Many thanks again. Regards, Buckland.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:10 12 Sep 08

Your name and address can be viewed in the voter's register so publishing an email address of an open source, world-wide system is not exactly the end of the world.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…