E-mail address, a cautionary tale

Roadgiant 09:26 23 May 04

A few weeks ago my 14 yr old son wanted to use Hotmail as all his friends were using it all the time for chat etc, I reluctantly agreed having heard stories before about problems caused.
At the same time as I set it up for him I also set Hotmail up for myself to have a look to see what it was about, (we have 2 Pcs on a home network).
About 3 weeks ago I started getting 2 or three e-mails a day containg the I-Worm/ Netsky virus which thankfull my anti-virus software AVG detected.
I (like most people I expect) have more than one e-mail address, and when I signed up with Hotmail I used an e-mail address that I have never given out or used before (or since) and as you can probably guess that was the address the e-mail with viruses attached were coming in on.
I have since removed the offending e-mail address from Outlook Express and only now check that particular address on the web server.
Any comments or similar experienxces anyone?

Dumble452 10:07 23 May 04

Yes, happens all the time. I only use hotmail as a web mail address. My main mail address is with blueyonder and their anti virus software has intercepted the one or two dodgy emails that I have received recently. On top of that I have PC-cillin installed which seems to sort out anything else, together with Spyware Blaster, Ad Aware and Spybot. I'm starting to feel quite paranoid about the whole thing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…