E: drive full. Please help?

CandyRed 06:43 08 Jun 10

Hi everyone.
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a Toshiba laptop, 60GB.
My E: drive is showing up as critically full 1.06GB free of 54.4GB.
I presume this is backup files. I haven't got a clue how to access these files even if I needed them, or how to clear old ones I don't need.
If I go into Computer, and click on drive E it shows 4 randomly named empty folder, one TAG file which I have no idea wht it is (1KB), one VLC video (.bin)1KB and a Quickbooks backup (accounting software) of 5,051KB.

I'd appreciate any advice (in simple terms please?).
Thanks

Technotiger 07:36 08 Jun 10

Approximately 53Gb used on E: drive, can't all be backup files, that's for sure!

Normally I believe E: drive would be your backup drive (actually a Partition on your C: Drive), so what does Drive C: show in terms of used/Free space?

Also what OS - XP/Vista/7 ....

CandyRed 08:12 08 Jun 10

I'm running Vista Home Premium.

C: drive is showing 12.8GB free of 55.8GB (I moved alot of photos onto an external drive as it was nearly full too)

Thanks for your quick response and help btw

howard64 08:32 08 Jun 10

do you have a vista disk? or a restore disk? or did you get instructions with the laptop to produce your own restore disk and if so did you make one? The chances are that the E: drive contains a restore pc folder. If you have the manual what does it say about the E: drive? If you have none of the above give the exact model no. so we can check it out.

Technotiger 08:43 08 Jun 10

Are you sure you have your figures correct?

You said you have Toshiba 60Gb laptop.

Then say E: Drive 1.06Gb Free of 54.4Gb.

Then C: Drive 12.8Gb free of 55.8Gb.

That all adds up to Approx 110Gb - which could be correct for drive C: if your hard drive is bigger than you thought!

I would have thought that if you have say, a 120Gb drive in the Laptop, the main part of that would be your C: drive (probably about 100Gb) with a Backup Partition (about 20Gb) your E: Drive. I am only guessing on these figures, but you should know your own actual figures.

It looks to me as if you have been putting stuff onto your Backup Drive E:, which is normally left purely for backup purposes. C: Drive is usually the main drive containing the Operating System and all your programs etc.

Can you please confirm your actual sizes - then we can give advice on perhaps clearing some of the 'junk' on your drives to create more space.

Taff™ 09:04 08 Jun 10

This sounds to me like the Physical disk is 120Gb split into two 55Gb partitions with a 10Gb restore partition which is probably hidden.

Go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management and in the left hand pane select Disk Management under storage. This will tell us whether you have one physical disk.

It also might be useful if you provided the exact Model of the Toshiba which you should take off the label on the underside of the computer.

CandyRed 09:57 08 Jun 10

OK, it's a Toshiba Equium L141-L40, Model no PSL49E (I think..the label is faded)

I'm pretty sure it's 60GB. My dad has the same laptop and is experiencing the same propblem too.

In Computer Management it says

Data (E:) Healthy (Primary Partition)54.43GB
Data (C:) Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 55.89GB

Plus there is also a disc icon with no name Healthy (EISA configuration) 1.46GB.

I have the box up in the attic but not sure if there is a restore disk in there.

rawprawn 10:05 08 Jun 10

Data (E:) Healthy (Primary Partition)54.43GB
In computer management, Right Click and select Format

CandyRed 10:17 08 Jun 10

Before I do that...what will it do? Is it safe? I won't lose any vital data will I?

T I M B O 10:19 08 Jun 10

Yes ,,, anything stored on that partition (E:) will be lost

CandyRed 10:26 08 Jun 10

So maybe that's not such a good idea???

But then I can't seem to access anything on E: ?Advice please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now