E-card Virus

Abel 08:13 10 Sep 08

Rather foolishly I opened an e-card without thinking and have infected my system. As soon as I clicked on the link, my machine closed down and rebooted with an icon ‘selfdel.bat’ on my desktop. Realising immediately what I’d done, I ran SuperAntispyware and removed the items which it discovered. I then ran AVG Anti Virus. Despite this, the icon still remained on my desktop, which I have removed in the conventional way. To be extra safe I have tried to restore my system to a date prior to the infection, but although various dates are emboldened I get the message ‘Restoration Incomplete-Your computer cannot be restored to etc.’ no matter what date I choose. Your help please.

crosstrainer 08:42 10 Sep 08

I suspect you have a braviax infection...VERY nasty. Follow the manual instructions on the link below (you may need to be in safe mode to do this. You could also try malwarebytes from:

click here

click here

Abel 17:10 10 Sep 08

Thanks for your suggestions crosstrainer. I opted for 2-Viruses.com because it was specific to the BraviaX virus which you said was so 'nasty.' However, the scan revealed only 3 items, none of which were BraviaX and only one was of medium risk. I seem to recall BraviaX when I ran SuperAntispyware last night, which I removed not knowing its significance. Subsequently, I downloaded and subscribed to StopZilla. This revealed so many unwanted items all of which I have removed, but again BraviaX was not among them. Having done all this, System Restore will still not work, even though the restore points are emboldened. If anyone else has any ideas I really would welcome them

Marko797 17:15 10 Sep 08

i'd give malware bytes anti malware a go, it's free and no subscriptions. Use CT's 1st link.

mfletch 17:22 10 Sep 08

Are you using Norton security if yes you have to temp turn off Norton then do a system restore then turn Norton back on

Abel 19:11 10 Sep 08

Thanks Marko797, downloaded and ran Malwarebytes which found several adware items and a trojan. All removed but still System Restore doesn't work. I don't have Norton Security mfletch.

NewestRoyWidd1 19:29 10 Sep 08

Slightly off-topic,I've been receiving a lot of e-card messages in my email lately.
Knowing none of my friends are likely to be the senders I've deleted them without opening.Having read the above posts,I'll continue to do so,not wanting any nasties in my system.

Stuartli 19:50 10 Sep 08

Apart from these e-cards, there's suddenly a rise in unwanted malware at present.

Avast! has nabbed around half-a-dozen in the last two or three days, following a period of non-activity in this area over the last few months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…