e-bay automatic bidding

JYPX 00:11 31 Jul 09

Can any experienced e-bayers on the forum give me advice plaese? Is automatic bidding safe and foolproof on a high ticket item? If I trigger automatic bidding what scams/pitfalls could I be open to. Have you used and it regretted it and if so why?
Thanks!

birdface 10:32 31 Jul 09

Very seldom use e-bay but if you put a limit as to how much you are willing to bid to it should stop there.Obviously you have lost the bid.
Anyhow that is the way it used to be.But I have not used it for a few years.

JYPX 12:43 31 Jul 09

buteman - appreciated, thanks.

GaT7 16:09 31 Jul 09

If you cannot place a last-minute/second bid, place a max bid that you think is a fair price for the item/ticket/whatever. This way you can hardly go wrong, or have any regrets whether you win or not. Always pay via PayPal as it gives one so much better protection these days.

The other usual commonsense approaches to eBay will apply, especially for high value purchases:

1. Research the seller prior to bidding/buying as much as you can via their feedback

2. Buy from a UK-based seller (assuming you also reside in the UK)

3. Communicate with the seller prior to bidding if it's possible (i.e. if the auction isn't ending in the next 5 min). This is just to get a better 'feel' of the seller. A good seller will invariably reply promptly, honestly & politely to all your queries

4. Do NOT get into a 'bidding war', or bid more than you can afford/willing to pay for the item

5. A buyer has 7 days to pay before the seller can open a non-paying bidder dispute. So, IF you find something underhand may have happened after you've won (e.g. shill bidding), report the matter to eBay asap & do not pay until you hear back from eBay. This can have 3 possible outcomes:
a. The seller re-lists the item before the 7-day deadline (with no backlash to yourself),
b. Your allegation cannot be proven, so you pay up, or
c. You were proven right, but in doing so will have to forfeit the right to buy. So don't report it if you're happy with the price!

6. Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable about the seller or a deal appears to good to be true, do NOT bid/buy

7. Pay with PayPal - deliberately repeated this one!

All the best :-), G

JYPX 23:37 31 Jul 09

Very helpful.
Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…