Dynamic V Static Broadband connection ?

freaky 15:11 22 Mar 05

Would be grateful if anybody could please explain the difference between these two types of connection.

Yoda Knight 15:14 22 Mar 05

Static means ur ip address stays the same permanently (your pc's adress on the internet).

Dynamic (as most home users have) changes every time you dial in (or on a regular basis for "Always on" connections)

You would use the address for connectivity purposes, ie installing a network or sharing resources etc

FelixTCat 15:25 22 Mar 05

Most ISPs offer a static web IP address (for extra money). The only reason you would want one is if you were setting up a web site for public access on one of your own computers. That wouldn't be very successful if the web address kept changing.

Yoda Knight 15:29 22 Mar 05

There is software available that re-routes http requests to your current ip, thereby allowing you to run web sites from home without the need for a static address (click here).

The problem I find is that while my d/l speed is great, upload is not good enough to host a web page, except for very limited use

FelixTCat 15:32 22 Mar 05

Yoda,

Sure. I was simply giving an example of why you might want to have a static address.

Yoda Knight 15:44 22 Mar 05

:)

freaky 16:39 22 Mar 05

Many thanks for those who have replied to my Topic.

The reason I posted this question was because I received only 1 reply to the following post on
Consumer Watch: -

NTL Home Broadband. They are blocking Ports! - posted by freaky on Fri, 18.03.2005

The problem myself and various colleagues are having with NTL is detailed in this post.

One solution put forward by NTL to our problem was to change from Dynamic to Static. Obviously from your replies this proposed solution would not help us. I thank you for eliminating one possible cause.

If some of you would read my post in ConsumerWatch, then any observations/help would be gratefully appreciated.

We are trying by a process of elimination, to find if the cause of the problem is NTL or our Employers Web Site.

FelixTCat 17:03 22 Mar 05

If you are trying to access your employer's web from outside, you should talk him into supplying you with a secure connection, such as a virtual private network.

freaky 18:39 22 Mar 05

I don't think a VPN would be any use to us because the site serves two purposes: -

(a) Members of the public use the site.
(b) We access the site by entering our respective passwords and User names.

The problem we are getting started about 3/4 weeks ago. All members who use NTL as their ISP found that certain pages would not open. Members using other ISP's encountered no problems.

According to our Employer no changes have been made to the site that could cause the problems that we have.

One member got from a source a print-out from NTL to their ISP Customer Advisor Staff, in this it stated they were blocking a number of Ports for security reasons. The first Port they blocked was 135, the date that they did this coincided with the time that our problems started. This might be a coincidence - but is the only hard fact that we have at moment.

FelixTCat 19:01 22 Mar 05

Talk to the network supervisor or whatever at your company. He may be able to come up with a way for you to access the site using different ports. Could you use ftp, for example?

freaky 19:07 22 Mar 05

Hi Felix,

Thanks for that, I know ftp = File Transfer Protocol, but that is all I know.

Can you enlighten me further please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5