Dynamic IP address

anchor 14:55 19 May 03

What are the advantages or disadvantages in having a dynamic IP address on my broadband connection, against having a "sticky" one.

NadineCoyleRocks 15:40 19 May 03

static (or sticky) allow you to host websites from your PC. DHCP (dynamic) dont but are a prefered and probably cheaper options for ISP's to offer.

anchor 15:47 19 May 03

Pipex offer me a choice; the "sticky" one being the default.

SEASHANTY 16:03 19 May 03

Believe I read somewhere that static IP addresses are more easily accessed by hackers due to always having the same address numbers. Dynamic addresses do change from time to time if you don't run your PC 24/7. On NTL the DHCP lease is usually obtained for a 24 hour period so if not used during this time it is possible to get a new IP address on next connection.

anchor 16:06 19 May 03

I have Zone Alarm Pro, and don`t leave my PC connected all the time. I guess that I am safe from hackers.

jeez 16:34 19 May 03

a decent firewall will only protect you "kiddy" hackers, experienced hardened hackers will slice through your firewall like a warm knife through butter, but these type of hackers would have no interest at all in a home pc. And they would be offended by being called a "hacker" anyway!

SEASHANTY 15:02 20 May 03

anchor - Interesting to note that that the July 2003 issue of "PC PRO" magazine which like PCA I get on advance subscription lists the top firewall in its 45 "A LIST" products is SOFTWARE FIREWALL - ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm Pro 3.5 with Web Filtering.Price $60 (£37) Delivery download only. This is approx what I paid for the ONTRACK SystemSuite4 which is the one I use. I always switch off power supplies to the cable modem and the router when I shut down the PC.

Squall 15:09 20 May 03

It is very un-usual to get a static IP address as default, usually you get charged for the privillege of having one.

Having a static IP will allow you to run server services, have you mail come directly to you etc, if you have the kit to handle all this.

IF you never want to run any kind of server, then a dynamic one is fine.

anchor 15:20 20 May 03

This is the statement from Pipex, my broadband ISP.

"Listening to feedback from customers who use the PIPEX Xtreme service we hear that some customers using @xtreme.pipex.net logins would prefer a truly dynamic IP address for their service, rather than the "sticky" address they currently have.

It is now possible for @xtreme customers to request a change from "sticky" to a truly dynamic IP address by visiting the Web page at click here"

I think I will stick with the sticky IP address; (no pun intended). On balance, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…