Dying Hard Disk

badger7 13:34 08 Mar 05

The last few times I have switched on my pc I have received the Smart "hard disk failure imminent" warning. I've backed up everything, have run scandisk, tried to defrag (but it won't complete) so think I may need to go for a new HD. Does anyone have any last-ditch attempts I could try before giving up? If not, can you recomment a decent company where I can buy one? I'll need about 60 Gb, and am running XP Home.

Many thanks.

Hi,

A Good place on the net for Harddrives: click here

badger7 15:09 08 Mar 05

Thanks very much - they look to have some pretty reasonable prices so it's probably worth going for a new one instead of struggling to keep the old gal alive! Cheers

Modo 15:33 08 Mar 05

Get the new one quick and install it.

Remember to back up all your software drivers - including updates. Make sure you have your software disks and keys. Life will be made easier if you download Belarc as it will record your product codes.

click here

When you are up and running try and reformat the old drive. If you are very lucky it will clear the problem and you'll have a second hard drive.

badger7 16:17 08 Mar 05

Thanks a lot Modo - good idea about trying to reformat the old drive afterwards. I've got the Belarc download so will print the specs out right away!

I appreciate the help.

Modo 18:35 08 Mar 05

You might just get away with it on a reformat.

The reformat should move the bad sectors out of the usable disk space - if that is what the problem is. You'll have less space but you wouldn't notice.

Unless you have got Acronis or Ghost it is unlikely your back up will act as a Drive Image - and even if you have I wouldn't wager on it working when truly tested.

But frankly it is well worth a clean install. It will speed your computer up amazingly. Just allow most of a day to get it done if you have got lots of programs.

Reinstall in a logical order.

And be prepared to ring Microsoft to re-register. With Microsoft load all your offics apps then, and only then, try and activate.

If you are forced to call them when you get them on the phone make them do all the re-registrations in one call. Otherwise it will take you two days to do the job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now