dying graphics card?

Garthyy 18:17 21 May 08

how do I spot this? Will the symptoms be there at startup, or just when warm?

Ditch999 18:32 21 May 08

Sometimes it can be seen with artifacts appearing on screen or in games it can look like tears appearing. There is also a snowy effect or lack of colour and strange objects appearing. They can appear at both startup (usually gobblygook writing during POST) and when in use.
There are programmes you can run to test your card for both Nvidia and ATI/AMD but they do put a lot of strain on the card and may make it fail altogether. DirectX has a small test built in to it. Use Start > Run > dxdiag and go to the Video tab and run the tests.

freaky 19:47 21 May 08

Had a similar thing happen to my PC at Easter. On booting up the screen looked unusual...bit difficult to define. When Windows XP was loading the colours were not clearly defined and flickered slightly.

I even re-installed XP and it would work OK for a while then the problem restarted !

To cut a long story short I replaced the Graphics card with a new one and all was OK.

Garthyy 20:48 21 May 08

I've started getting 2/3rds of the screen is fine the next 2 inches white tghen last 2" a copy of the middle good part of screen. The pc is a toshiba p30 laptop is the graphics card (ati radeon mobility 9700) chageable?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5