DX10 Compatible Cards

twiddle 21:28 13 Jan 07

I'm looking for a new PC right now, but the new DX10 cards releasing soon are going to be a little too expensive for me I think, since there's only about 2 on the horizon for now anyway.

My question is: If I buy a new PC now would I then need to upgrade the motherboard when I made the eventual switch to DX10? The G80 looming for example, will it be compatible with the current mboards or will it have a new standard behind it?

Ideally, rather than holding out for a while before buying a new system I'd like to get one now (I'm a uni student - work to be done) and simply be able to install a new graphics card later when I need it. I'm not a big PC gamer, only occasional plays of sims 2 and pro evo 6 for me, so a top-end card isn't essential for now. I would like to be able to play Spore when it's released though...

STREETWORK 21:47 13 Jan 07

When DX10 is released graphics card makers will have had time to release updated drivers that will be able to exist with DX10.

All you need to do with a new PC is check the cards website and update the drivers...

ulrich 21:48 13 Jan 07

If you can I would wait, I think you will only have to upgrade the graphics card. As I said I would wait so that you get a full Vista PC, with a DX10 graphics card plus the games that require it. The prices will have gone down by then and a lot more available in the way of g/cards. Thats what I am going to do.

skeletal 22:11 13 Jan 07

If you want to get a new computer now with the thought of upgrading the graphics card later, be aware that the nVidia 8800 cards (DX10) are physically large.

Obviously no one knows what will be released in the future, but I would make sure that anything you buy now will be able to take the cards physically as well as electronically.

Skeletal

twiddle 22:45 13 Jan 07

As much as I'd like to wait for prices to come down, as I've said I'm a uni student with work to do. That's not a problem in itself, but my old PC has packed in so I have nothing at the moment. I'm not sure if holding out for the months required is going to be that easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…