Dwnldng update KB943232 4 WINXPSP2 but nt from MS

Triprajul 20:24 06 Jun 10

Greetings:

In an earlier posting, I explained that I want to download ZoneAlarm (an excellent firewall recommended on this Forum). However, I was prevented from doing so by the fact that I use Windows XP Service Pack 2. To download the latest version of ZoneAlarm, I was told that an update to the Service Pack (SP 2) was necessary before I could install ZoneAlarm. I have been told that this update comes from Microsoft. Frankly, I don’t want anything to do with Micro$oft. I just use their OS. When I get my computer from the shop, the first thing I do is turn off automatic updates from MS. Basically, I would still like to download ZoneAlarm but can I get this required update from another source totally unconnected to Micro$oft (and I mean totally unconnected to MS please). By the way, if I did get update put on my computer from another source, would ZoneAlarm then download to my computer without any problem? Frankly, I would like to give the firewall from Comodo Internet Security a try but it comes also with an anti-virus. I am using Vipre anti-virus and anti-spyware and I am very happy with it. Any advice anyone can give me in these matters is greatly appreciated.

bremner 20:28 06 Jun 10

"When I get my computer from the shop, the first thing I do is turn off automatic updates from MS"

A very stupid thing to do.

Down SP3 through MicroSoft and get your computer secure and up to date.

Sea Urchin 22:48 06 Jun 10

On yet another of your recent threads you suggest that you have picked up a virus - hardly surprising if you are leaving your computer unprotected.

Comodo firewall is available as a standalone program.

northumbria61 18:02 07 Jun 10

"Frankly, I don’t want anything to do with Micro$oft. I just use their OS. When I get my computer from the shop, the first thing I do is turn off automatic updates from MS"

I can't begin to imagine why anyone would want to do this - If you are using a MS Operating System it is not only silly to turn "Automatic Updates" off but as "bremner" says "A very stupid thing to do"
They are there for a reason - to keep your computer up to date !

The very least you should do is to "Download and Choose what to install" if you don't want Automatic Updates.

Forum Editor 18:09 07 Jun 10

I fail to understand why anyone would want to turn off the Microsoft updating service. The whole idea of the MS update system is that it provides you with the latest security updates and vulnerability fixes.

Without the updates your Windows installation will gradually become more and more insecure, and vulnerable to attack. Turning off the updates on a new computer is a very unwise thing to do.

The answer to your question - no, you cannot obtain Windows updates from a source "totally unconnected to Microsoft".

Take my advice, and get your computer up to date as quickly as possible by connecting to the Microsoft update service. All my home and office machines are updated regularly.

T I M B O 18:15 07 Jun 10

If you would like a detailed look at other firewalls and how they compare, look here>> click here

I use XP Home & Pro and Vista and I only use the firewall that comes with the Os. I also have a router that also comes with a firewall.

It is important to keep up the Microsoft updates. For your own security it's best to get SP3 on that pc asap!! along with all the other vital security updates.

Best of luck....

T I M B O 18:24 07 Jun 10

And if you insist in not going to Microsoft then then u can get what u need from here >> click here

Sea Urchin 19:37 07 Jun 10

It seems you might be in danger of being accused of spamming - for the number of times you have recommended this website.

northumbria61 17:32 08 Jun 10

"Frankly, I don’t want anything to do with Micro$oft. I just use their OS"

There's only one other reason I can think of that would make anyone want to turn off "updates" - their copy of Windows is not a genuine one - I do hope I am wrong on this occasion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…