DWIN.exe ?

Chas49 13:14 13 Jun 08

I have just closed an Excel 2003 spreadsheet and the firewall came up with a query to the effect that DWIN.EXE was trying to access Excel. Not knowing what this was and having never seen it before, I blocked it. I did a search of the net and saw one site which said that this file was dangerous.

I have done a search on the computer itself using Vista's search engine and it found nothing - curious for a program seeking access - or is it?

I have run Spyware Terminator and that found nothing.

Anyone have any knowledge of it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 13 Jun 08

Do you have Norton on your PC?

Think dwin.exe is part of the Norton system.

skidzy 14:05 13 Jun 08

DWIN.EXE can be disguised as Malware

Part of Malware group - Downloader Drev A (from Prevx database)

Download,update, and run Superantispyware in safemode click here

Chances are you have installed or uninstalled a program (possibly Norton as above) and something is either corrupt or missing.

What antivirus are you currently using ?
Remember only one antivirus program to one computer ! do not install more than one,this will cause conflicts.

Chas49 14:30 13 Jun 08

Thanks to both.

No, I've never had Norton on this computer, Anti virus is Commodo. Am about to download SuperAntiSpyware and will post result afterwards.

Chas49 15:34 13 Jun 08

OK. I have downloaded, updated and run SuperAnitspyware and, apart from a few cookies, and one unidentified(but protected) item in the registry there was nothing.

I have run my Excel program again but the DWIN.EXE incident did not appear again. I shall set Commodo to permanently block it - if it appears again in the future.

Thanks again .

Chas49 21:12 13 Jun 08

Obviously not my day!

Excel started behaving unusually so \i rebooted the computer -it wouldn't let me login!

Fortunately, I had done an incremenntal image a couple of days ago - so - a restore is being carried out at this moment.

Thank heavens for my old computer!

Chas49 23:24 13 Jun 08

All OK again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…