DVI/VGA queston

maby66 18:15 09 May 03

I am considering two purchases - a new graphics card and a TFT monitor.
I am settled on the card I want - a Radeon 9700.
I had my eye on a Hitachi TFT, but DABS have an offer on a very good Ilyama which matches the Hitachi in almost every aspect apart from the DVI port - it doesnt have one. The difference in price will be about £70.

My question is will I really see a difference if I use only DVI connections, or will I get same qualty of picture using DVI out then a converter tothe screen input?

Thanks

BrianW 19:07 09 May 03

Pure digital signal will always be "better" than digital to analogue(conversion. The conversion process adds noise and degrades the image. Having said that - whether the difference will bother you is difficult to judge - it depends a lot on what you are going to use the screen for. I have a dual DVI / analogue TFT and can definitely see a difference in image sharpness / colour stability. My view is, if you can afford it, go for DVI. See if you can get somewhere like your local PCW to demo both standards to judge for yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…