DVI - HDMI TV in Vista.

sean-278262 21:18 30 May 08

I have an Asus F3Sv (specifications here click here )

I recently purchased a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my laptop up to my 26inch LCD TV which only has one HDMI port and no DVI or VGA ports. (TV link here click here )

However I cannot seem to get the laptop to output to the TV propperly. Using the Asus control panel for the laptop to change mode only serves to provide a partial image resizing the screen resolution giving about a 1/4 of the screen to show up. I have also tried the nVidia control panel however it does not seem to want to show the TV in the options list so therefore cannot be activated.

Going to the old fashioned method of using the display options method in windows Vista (the same method as was employed in XP) I can enable the monitor, however nothing displays whatsoever. Messing around with the FN + F8 key doesnt seem to change anything other than toggle the mode icon on the laptop, no changes to the status of the external monitor come up. BTW - FN + F8 on this Asus toggles the internal and external display modes that most laptops assign to FN + F5.

Can anyone suggest a way I might be able to get the laptop to output in fully HD glory to the external monitor as I cannot seem to work out what to do to make it happen. It would be nice to play some videos through the machine to the TV as well as be helpful when working on the web.

Cheers

Technotiger 21:38 30 May 08

Hi, I believe you are asking the impossible - VGA to HDMI ....... and expecting output in fully HD glory!

sean-278262 21:41 30 May 08

No I am asking for how to output by using my DVI to HDMI cable. Therefore it is not impossible.

Technotiger 21:49 30 May 08

But your laptop does not have a DVI out port??

Technotiger 21:56 30 May 08

Sorry - just realised you have Nvidia graphics with DVI - I must learn to look before I leap!

sean-278262 21:57 30 May 08

It most certainly does. However I see how the confusion started. Most of the F3 series have DVI but for some reason Asus dont seem to acknowledge the fact. I have posted a link to specs that as far as Im aware are fully correct. Apologies for the confusion.
click here

Technotiger 22:11 30 May 08

My Nvidia Control Panel includes a Multi-display Wizard, does yours not have the same?

I do get the Full Monty on my display, but my HD DTV/PC Screen has more connection options.

sean-278262 22:17 30 May 08

As far as I can tell there is no multi display wizard option in my Nvidia control panel. This is my first Nvidia card in a while so its has changes quite considerably from what I was used to.

It is confusing the hell out of me at the moment as I got it to output to the TV but as I say it only showed 1/4 of the total screen area on the external display.

Technotiger 22:19 30 May 08

By comparrison, mine is the Samsung SyncMaster 225MB. click here

I have been Googling for possible cable connections that would allow what you are looking for - no luck so far, but if I find anything I will let you know.

sean-278262 22:21 30 May 08

Cheers Technotiger, anyone else have any ideas on the topic?

Technotiger 22:23 30 May 08

This is my Nvidia Control Panel showing multi-display options ...

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…