lazanda 08:57 01 Nov 05

My new PC has a DVI-D card and with it I got an adapter for my monitor cable (which is the normal blue one you get with all monitors) so I can plug my monitor into this DVI-D slot in the PC.

However where it plugs into the monitor thats just a normal blue plug (I was only supplied one adapter) so I can only plug it into the normal slot and not the DVI-D slot in the monitor.

Does this make a difference? should I have recieved two adapters?

Thanks !

PaulB2005 09:14 01 Nov 05

I think you need to plug the old cable back into the monitor and you'll then be able to plug the end of the cable into the adapter. That's what i have here.

lazanda 09:24 01 Nov 05

So the adapter end into the PC, and the blue end into the monitor?

Do I not need an adapter on both ends?

PaulB2005 09:28 01 Nov 05

I put the adapter onto the DVI output on the card and then plug the end of the monitor lead into the adapter.

Monitor->Monitor Lead->Blue Plug->DVI Adapter->Card

PaulB2005 09:31 01 Nov 05

Sorry might be confused...

"where it plugs into the monitor thats just a normal blue plug "

"should I have recieved two adapters?"

Sorry so you do have a DVI socket on the monitor?

If so then you need a lead with DVI plugs on each end. It is normal to only get on adpater with a card. I have a non-DVI monitor plugged into the DVI output on my card and thought that's what you were doing.

PaulB2005 09:31 01 Nov 05
  lazanda 09:41 01 Nov 05

Hi Paul,

yes I have a DVI socket in the monitor too.

Does it work the way it should with just a plug in the card end or would you recommend getting a new cable completely.

Thanks for your help,

PaulB2005 09:44 01 Nov 05

Personally, I would buy the new cable. This way the signal isn't going through any adaptors. Not that it matters in the real world.

However can you clarify what cables and sockets you have for the monitor? I believe the adaptor you have is to enable an old D-SUB (blue plug) monitor to plug into the DVI socket as i have here. The cable above does away with any adaptors and just plugs in at both ends.

PaulB2005 09:48 01 Nov 05

If you want you can plug the monitor cable into the blue socket on the monitor and then attach the adapter to the other end and plug this into the DVI socket on the card.

DieSse 09:57 01 Nov 05

You either go VGA to VGA or DVI to DVI - using adapters makes the whole use of DVI pointless. (unless you have a DVI socket only, on the video card, of course!)

So get the correct cable - a DVI to DVI if you have DVI sockets at both ends - then you will get any improvement that DVI has to offer.

The point about DVI is that it's digital - if you convert it to analogue (to use the VGA sockets) ANYWHERE in the chain then you remove any benefit from using a digital to digital connection.

lazanda 10:05 01 Nov 05

I have a cable with blue D-SUB at each end and one adapter - I have a DVI-D card in the PC and a DVI-D plug in the back of the monitor.

If it does the same job having a connector on one end I will just leave it at that, I just want to get the max from the PC and for the sake of 6 quid I will get a new cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…