DVI Cable

Ritchbee 00:58 03 Jan 04

I'm thinking of purchasing a Ilayma Prolite 431 in the near future.
I read that it is best used with a DVI-D cable.
Can anyone explain to a novice like myself what this does.
I currently have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930sb would this have any re-sell or trade in value ?. If so were's the best place/s to do this.

Many thanks
Brian

DieSse 09:41 03 Jan 04

The DVI cable is for Digital Video Input - a better way of connecting a TFT monitor. But you need a DVI input on the monitor, and a DVI output on the graphics card.

If you don't have a DVI output on the graphics card then there is no way to get any of the benefits (converters will not suffice) - unless you buy a new card.

The DVI connector is slightly bigger than the normal VGA connector, and nothing like any other connector on a graphics card, so it's unmistakeable.

The reason it's potentially better is that it transfers digital signals directly to the monitor, without converting then to analogue VGA signals, for the monitor to convert back again to digital. This onlt applies to TFT monitors.

Ritchbee 17:20 03 Jan 04

I'm currently using a Radeon 9700 so I can assume that as this is a fairly up to date make, it will have DVI output ?.

DieSse 17:32 03 Jan 04

I don't know - have a look at the back of it where the current monitor is attached, for the DVI connector.

Ritchbee 18:18 03 Jan 04

will do - thanx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…