DVDs will not run

Cluelessone 23:09 06 Aug 08

Ladies and gentlemen, your assistance please:

Dell 5150, running WINXP media centre.......
Used to recognise DVDs but not anymore. 3 DVD players simply chug a little and deny that anything is in the drive. No error message. CDs fine. DVDs work OK in the laptop.

Have tried to update the driver from the Dell website but on trying to run the programme it complains that it will not run on an OS lower than Win98(!)

Any clues please?

Diversion 23:59 06 Aug 08

Does it work with CD's, it maybe that DVD laser has burnt out? Try a shop bought DVD if it plays it okay then it's probably the burning laser that's gone. One of mine burnt out like that. A good sign is if the DVD's were getting warm whist burning. Mine would still burn CD’s but not DVD’s.

Cluelessone 08:41 07 Aug 08

Diversion:

It is bought DVDs that won't run.....

jack 08:52 07 Aug 08

DVD's use a different frequency to CD's hence a second laser- You could try a CD drive cleaner[Comes as a CD with a little brush and a bottle of liquid to apply.
If that fails the next move is to purchase an external USB drive. A cheaper proposition than returning to Dell for a replacement

wotbus@ 08:54 07 Aug 08

Concur - sounds like the drive is u/s.

Cluelessone 09:39 07 Aug 08

Jack:
If this is the case, can I not simply buy a new off-the-shelf DVD-RW to replace the dead one?

jack 12:08 07 Aug 08

But yes if this a Desktop Macine- then an off the shelf will fit a standard 5 in bay and with standard IDE connector and power supply
Check out the machine first- by taking a peek inside.
Dell are renowned for making off standard machines

Diversion 19:52 08 Aug 08

Here's a good selection click here . You can phone them and they will tell you if they have got one suitable for the computer that you have.

Cluelessone 16:35 10 Aug 08

Many thanks for your help chaps!
Any final recommendations before I throw it in the bin???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant