DVDs and CDs

Axii9 08:15 17 Jan 05

I have a Combo CD+rw/ DVD+rw drive.

Do I have to buy +rw CDs and DVds or will CD-r/ +r and DVD-r/ +r ones do?

I was told that I should be able to use -r or +r for rewriting purposes.

topdude 08:32 17 Jan 05

CDs only come in one flavour.

DVDs are + or-

You need to use the correct type of DVD for your writer. Check it's spec in your instructions or online.

Diodorus Siculus 08:55 17 Jan 05

DVD FAQ
click here

CD-Recordable FAQ
click here

CDs come as CD-R (write once - or as multisession) and CD-RW (erase and write again).

Stuartli 09:12 17 Jan 05

As Diodorus Siculus rightly points out, there are CD-Rs and CD-RW disks.

People mostly use CD-Rs once, usually to copy large blocks of data etc, and their low cost makes it economical.

But, in multisession form, again as Diodorus Siculus explains, you can use a CD-R (i.e. write new information to it) until its 650 or 700MB capacity is full.

Very handy for backing up small programs, applications, utilities etc which you may wish to retain or install on another system.

Just before the final multisession burning sequence you have to select Finalise to "close" the disk permanently.

CD-Rs also have the benefit over CD+RW in that the disks have a higher reflectivity level and are therefore usually easier for a range of other drives to read.

topdude 11:29 17 Jan 05

Hi, what is said above is perfectly true.

However Axii9 will have no problems buying CDr or CDrw disks for his/her writer as there is no choice of types only different brands.

It will be necessary to know what the specifications of the writer are before buying the correct type of DVD though.

As posted above the DVD FAQ covers it all.

TomJerry 12:05 17 Jan 05

RW writer can write on R discs as well

you do not need to know other junks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…