DVD/RW & CD/RW slow each other down?

ACOLYTE 19:31 05 Sep 05

Would having both on the same ide channel slow down the dvd copying? its taking me 90 to 120 minutes to copy a 5 gig file at the minute,other times it does it in 10 with the same settings,cant seem to find the link.

Stuartli 19:34 05 Sep 05

Is one set as Master and the other as Slave?

ACOLYTE 19:45 05 Sep 05

Yep DVD/RW is Master CD/RW slave.

Stuartli 19:53 05 Sep 05

Doesn't appear to be any obvious reason as to why you should have problems unless there's a loose/damaged cable or lead.

Totally-braindead 20:02 05 Sep 05

Unless you were copying from the CDRW to the DVD writer I can't see why there would be any speed difference whatsoever, odd I must admit. Are you by any chance burning to different makes of blank DVDs because this can make a huge difference to burn speed. I've got 2 makes of DVDs both rated at 16x but one burns at 16x and the other only burns at 8x. I presume either the DVD writer or the software doesn't like one of the brands for some reason.

BBez 21:15 05 Sep 05

ensure when you copying on the dvd-r drive that there is no cd inserted on the cd-rw (slave) drive, i have noticed copying slowup if i have a cd in my slave drive as the drive is periodically accessed if i have a disc in, even though i'm copying on dvd-r (master) drive...

ACOLYTE 22:34 05 Sep 05

I have tried 2 different kinds of dvd one 4 speed 1 8 speed and it takes the same time to copy to both types,i dont copy from the cd to dvd i copy from files on my pc that burn straight to dvd.I dont have a cd in the drive,its odd i cant work it out either,i have a pioneer dvr 107d dvd/rw and an aopen cd/rw.

ACOLYTE 10:12 06 Sep 05

I looked around the options and my cd/rw drive was set to pio mode because of errors,cant think what errors it means it been behaving as far as i can tell,anyway i took out the cd/rw and left the dvd/rw on its own,have yet to try a copy.

Stuartli 10:20 06 Sep 05

You'll find the explanation here - if you can reconfigure the drives back to DMA mode it will definitely improve matters:

click here

ACOLYTE 11:45 06 Sep 05

That a good page,im not sure i will put the cd/rw back in this pc may try it in another and see how it gets on.What i dont understand is if the cd/rw drive was in pio mode why that would slow the dvd/rw down,that was still set at ultra dma mode.

ACOLYTE 10:46 08 Sep 05

Tried another medium a JVC dvd 8x speed and it stated off at 500 minutes! lol then settled at 90 and i cant understand the times they seem to alter when the feel like it.I have checked the cables and they seem to be fine,im pretty sure it should'nt take 90 minutes at 8x speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…