//some 3rd party need geo

dvd/rw

Smokeyone 10:53 14 Aug 05

Hello
Can anyone assist please. I have a HP notebook with a HL DT ST RW/DVD GCC 4241N dvd. This goes with Roxio east cd & dvd creator. What ever I try I always end up with the message Please Insert Disc even though the disc is inserted. The discs are HP dvd/rw 4.7gb. Any ideas please and have I missed the obvious.

Thanks
Smokeyone.

PS The dvd plays audio & movies fine.

dave_and_confused 10:56 14 Aug 05

Have you tried another brand?

Have you made the same simple mistake i once made and put the disc in upside down? ;-)

How old / new is the notebook?

pj123 12:11 14 Aug 05

I believe that what you have is a CD/RW DVD rom combo

That means it will only write to CD but will play DVDs.

click here

Baslla321 12:35 14 Aug 05

Smokeyone
I have exactly the same thing. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 Win Xp with a CR/RW DVD Combo. It only writes to CD but plays DVD.

Smokeyone 19:56 14 Aug 05

Thanks for the help. I'll invest in some cd/rw discs instead. I don't suppose it would make sense to invest in a self contained dvd/rw drive would it..........

Smokeyone

Completealias 20:06 14 Aug 05

You could pick up an external dvd writer if you wished too I recently brought an internal dvd writer for my tower and am wondering how I did without it all my documents fit on one disk now.

Totally-braindead 20:34 14 Aug 05

Smokeyone if its for backing up information I wouldn't use CDRW disks, CDRs are now so cheap that its much easier to use them, create a multisession disk and keep adding till its full. CDRW disks are not as stable as CDRs and they won't burn as fast. If you really want a DVD writer then yes you could buy an external drive or if its for backups you may even care to consider a external hard drive.

Smokeyone 06:42 15 Aug 05

Have you any suggestions for an external hd as then I could use it on both the notebook and pc.
Thanks
Smokeyone

pj123 15:06 15 Aug 05

Check out: click here

There are two types, Firewire and USB. If you don't have Firewire then go for USB.

Smokeyone 20:03 15 Aug 05

Thanks very much for all the help.

Smokeyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…