DVDROM & DVDRW mobo Connections

fredhead40 12:34 22 Feb 06

I have an Asus A8N SLI Delux mobo and will be installing a SATA II hard drive so both IDE slots will be available.
Whats the best configeration of the DVD drives, should I connect them via a single cable with the DVD ROM as the master and the RW as the slave or use a single cable for each drive as I will have both IDE slots availble on the board and could install both as master using say the DVD ROm on IDE1 and the RW on IDE2. I know that IDE1 is normally for hard drives but would this set up be a faster options for copying etc. Any info would be good.
Thanks

fred

clayton 12:37 22 Feb 06

I think you would still connect them to IDE 2 as IDE1 is for ATA100, but i could be wrong.

quack 12:46 22 Feb 06

As you are not using any IDE connections for your HDD you can use either or both to connect your drives. I would suggest you use one IDE connection and set your drives to Master and Slave as you suggest.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:26 22 Feb 06

If you want to copy (on the fly) from the ROM o the RW best way is RW as master on IDE1 and ROM as master on IDE2.

rmcqua 13:32 22 Feb 06

Fruit Bat /\0/\'s right! I use this arrangement (after experimenting)and it gives the best overall performance.

fredhead40 14:11 22 Feb 06

Thanks for the quick responses. I have now ordered two 2 pluc Vantec cables and will connect the drives as above.

Thanks

fred

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos