dvdr not working

maxirv 17:42 08 Aug 05

(I have trawled through hundreds of posts, trying everything & anything recomended, finally I have to ask - sorry)
My DVD-RW packed up a few weeks ago, I reinstalled an old CDRW whilst waiting to get a new DVDRW - which worked fine for a couple of days, then packed up too - taking the audio device driver with it!
I finally managed to get the audio device driver working again, went out and bought a nice new Philips DVDR916LSK (with "lightscribe"), and installed it, but it won't work.
There is no error in control panel/system/hardware/device manager (there was before). It is recognising they are both there in sounds and audio devices/hardware , I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling, and it says new hardware (DVD) successfully installed. However with DVD's it has the icon for "unrecognised format" (or whatever...) and with CD's - media player gives an error message "unable to play - problem with sound device - may be in use....etc", my other music players just say nothing & make no sound, I am getting no sounds from things like messenger, just the start-up "beep".
I realise all this sounds like a basic audio device driver problem, but there is no yellow exclamation mark beside it in "devices" which there was before.
I am at a loss, so any advice would be appreciated - if only so that I can check off what I have done & narrow the possibilities!
Thanks. Max

Klof Ron 18:20 08 Aug 05

Have you tried removing it from device manager and rebooting to let windows re-detect it, also try starting in safe mode to see if more than one instance of the drive is installed, if so remove them all and reboot into normal mode to allow a re detect

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 08 Aug 05

Sound setup
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…