dvdr for 3 year old advent pc?

Cooter 19:37 14 Dec 03

hi all! i have a 3 year old advent 3309 pc, i have had surprisingly little hassle with it and have been generally pleased with its performance. however it is getting to a point in its life when it is craving a dvdr! can anyone recomended any dvdr units at an average cost for this aging but still speedy advent and secondly is it worth me buying and installing one for this pc at all, or shall i just wait a few months or so and invest in a whole new spec pc? thanx for your help

Diodorus Siculus 19:53 14 Dec 03

I can't answer your first query re. specific drives, but in reply to your second query, I would not recommend changing your pc - if it does what you want, then stick with it.

Prices don't really come down - specifications increase.

A little more RAM and a faster hdd can make a lot of difference; a faster processor is not likely to be a great advantage if the machine you have currently does all you want satisfactorily.

Cooter 20:57 14 Dec 03

hi diodorus, yes some obvious points that i should have realised myself! however the fact that specifications increase would mean that ultimately prices do actually come down?

Diodorus Siculus 00:40 15 Dec 03

Yes, it was a rather facetious point that I was making - we simply get more for our money, whether or not we need it.

As components become obsolete or outdated their cost decreases. I have a PCPro calendar which shows the covers of their magazines for many years past - mid range machines were always about £12-1400.

Cooter 00:43 15 Dec 03

yes time flys by! it'll be xmas soon!

hugh-265156 01:28 15 Dec 03

click here for some reviews.

click here your current specs seem fine to me,something similar to my own(1.8 p4 512ddr) and will be able to handle all but the most demanding tasks.

if you upgrade all your drivers from the hardware manufacturers websites and you may notice a difference no doubt if you have not already done so.

if you are a gamer upgrade your graphics card drivers or better still invest in a faster model.mx cards are not able to get the best out of new games.a faster proceeor may also help if you are into games or video editing etc.

if you want 5.1 audio for dvds then upgrade your onboard sound to a 5.1 soundcard and speakers or feed it to a 5.1 amp.also get broadband and your laffin.

certantly wouldnt replace it.seems very usable specs to me.

Cooter 01:36 15 Dec 03

thanx huggy, i may be in touch soon! some helpful advise, thanx alot. by the way the second "click here" didnt work.

hugh-265156 01:48 15 Dec 03

works ok here,try this link click here

hugh-265156 01:49 15 Dec 03

ps.also update windows xp click here

Al94 09:10 15 Dec 03

My son purchased this one click here from P C World, an Optorite model which is made by Sony and now reduced to £89.99. Simple to install and worked perfectly first time. Put into an Advent also, just check your spec but at 3 y o sholuld be fine. Its a dual standard DVD+ and DVD-. Great value.

Cooter 14:36 15 Dec 03

thanx alot peeps, your all very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…