dvd/laptop/tv

tonyq 18:47 22 Mar 07

please can someone tell me if I can watch a dvd (film) on TV that is running in a laptop. I am thinking that I may be able to connect the tv/laptop by means of a "S" Video cable,as both the tv and laptop have this connection,or will this not work?. If this will not work please can you tell me what connections/cables I need,thank you.

Greengage 19:05 22 Mar 07

It will work but you will probably need an audio cable from laptop to TV in addition to the S Video. Then you have to configure through your video card or Display Properties so that the laptop/monitor is switched to the TV.

ArrGee 20:16 22 Mar 07

Your TV will probably have an S-Video In connection, and you'll have to check that the laptop has S-Video Out.

If that's the case, a simple S-Video to S-Video cable will do the trick for visual.

Alternatively, you can use an S-Video to Scart to connect from laptop to TV.

For sound you will need (as Greengage pointed out) a cable to run from your headphone socket on the laptop to the TV, or to a hifi amp input (red/white sockets).

Finally, also as Greengage pointed out, you need to make sure your visual is running to the TV. Usually this can be done by right-clicking the desktop on your laptop and selecting properties. Depending on the software you have, you should have options to output to TV, laptop, or laptop and TV.

tonyq 17:42 23 Mar 07

Greengage/ArrGee thank you for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5