DVD/CDROM PROBLEMS

smeetle 00:26 08 Feb 11

I have a SONY CDR/RW/DVD CRX830E on my pc,firstly im unsure which discs to buy for this drive and if it is capable of burning audio/video to disc.

thks smeet

lotvic 01:31 08 Feb 11

Yes it is capable of burning audio/video to disc, It burns CD-R, CD-RW (that limits the video to VCD files I think).
It does not burn DVD's only CD's
It reads (plays) CD's and DVD's (these are called ROM for Read Only Media)

so you need to buy CD-R (can only write once to these) or CD-RW (rewritable)

Note that it is CD - R (minus) not CD+R (plus)
here are the specs click here

You need a burning program installed on your computer of course, something like Nero or Roxio or a free program like CDBurnerXP. There should already be one on your computer. You have not said what OS you have but I presume XP?

smeetle 01:53 08 Feb 11

thks for the excellent response,a great help,if i could possibly ask you another question,i am looking for a fairly cheap but bog standard external dvd burner,my op system is xp pro with 1024MB.WITH AN INTEL PEN 4 3.00GHz..and would my pc recognise it.

thks smeet

lotvic 14:06 08 Feb 11

Is that a desktop tower pc? (not a laptop)

Have you considered just replacing the existing SONY CDR/RW/DVD CRX830E with a DVD burner (or if desktop tower adding one if there is a spare bay)

You could do with some more ram, 1024MB (1Gb) is not much if you want to start burning DVD's.
It would do it but just limp along...

What is your pc make & model?

There are plenty of DVD burners, all about same really, have a look at Amazon and similar websites for the prices.

smeetle 14:52 08 Feb 11

Hi lotvic,clever minds think alike,i have another 2Gb of ram on order,have looked at external DVD burner,as im not sure how to replace internally,i think it may be the best option for a technaphobe like me,on doing a crucial scan my pc shows as follows. Dell OptiPlex GX280 (Desktop and Mini-tower Models) Desktop/PC .
i have found this on web systems i am tempted to buy,but as i say i am unsure if it is compatable(sorry for rambling on,but alas my knowledge of pcs is limited),Samsung 8x +/- DVD/RW Slim Portable External
thks again.smeet

lotvic 16:37 08 Feb 11

oh good, a Dell. here's the manual click here
from the ones pictured, which one is it?

click on the one it is and then in 'Adding and Removing Parts' click on 'Drives' and then on the 'CD/DVD Drive' and you will get nice pictorial guide to tell you how to do it. There are only two cables to plug in so it is not complicated to fit an internal DVD drive. (Scroll down to near bottom of page)

or you could get the external one but I'm more in favour of an internal as it will be faster transfer and less prone to errors.

smeetle 18:11 08 Feb 11

my thoughts exactly lotvic,i am in favour of the internal drive,but im a bit unsure.
i think the external option would be best untill i get up to speed with the pc in/outs

thks smeet

lotvic 22:19 08 Feb 11

Okay, prob best till you feel more comfy swapping bits about. The Dell manual is good for 'learning' to put bits in and out :) and YouTube has lots of videos as well.

smeetle 15:05 09 Feb 11

thks for the manual,very informative and all your help much appreciated.

Regards Smeet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5