DVD/CD/ Player Writer.

Baskerville 13:12 13 Sep 06

Hi All,
A mate of mine has had a problem with his cd/dvd player and writer (both seperate drives)they have both decided to stop working. He has tried everything he or I know to sort it, even a system restore to no avail.
One last thing I will try for him is to use a spare cd rom drive that I have and see if that works in his comp,if it does we at least know that the drives have gone bang (both at the same time?) failing that is there such a drive out there that will play a dvd or a cd and also burn a dvd? a drive that will do it all really even play music cds as he like to play music cds on his comp.
In device manager his dvd and cd drive letters have disapeared ? I have had help on this forum but nothing has worked so he is thinking of throwing the old drives and just buying a new one that will do all the jobs.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Baskerville.

Fingees 13:17 13 Sep 06

Most new cd/dvd devices now write to all formats and read same.

They start upward of about £39 now, so it's not worth getting too bothered if they have gone duff.

All the best.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:31 13 Sep 06

both at the same time? Unlikely!

check the IDE channel is enabled in the BIOS,
try another IDE cable or swa cbles from the hard drive.

are the drives recognised in the BIOS?

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41

click here

or
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant