DVD/CD Driver not working!

BIGKREM 12:37 21 Nov 08

Hi folks, I have a Philips Freevents laptop Model EAA-89 running XP. Intel R T2300 @ 1.66GHz service pack 3 installed. But I cannot access my cd/DVD drive. In device manager there’s an exclamation mark against the driver and I have tried uninstalling the driver then re-booting but it just re-installs the same driver and the same problem. Searching for new driver gives the message that windows can’t find a better driver than the one I have. The drive unit itself appears to function properly, It goes through the motions of running up, flashing lights etc but no Icon appears in My computer. How can I find a driver and how can I install it with no cd drive? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Message from device manager is” PHILIPSDVD+-RW SDVD8820 CAN NOT INITIALISE”

Stuartli 12:44 21 Nov 08

The only driver (normally) required is the basic Windows CDROM driver which is installed automatically via Found New Hardware; the functions of a rewriter are controlled by burning software such as Nero.

It could be that there is a problem with the connections or the drive itself has developed a fault.

BIGKREM 12:52 21 Nov 08

Thats what im afraid of, but the message is quite specific about the driver.

DieSse 13:43 21 Nov 08

"In device manager there’s an exclamation mark against the driver"

I think you mean ".. there’s an exclamation mark against the DRIVE"

It's the drive that can't be initialised, not the driver.

Possible problems

The drive itself

The cable to the drive - should be two - the power cable and the flat ribbon cable. Try taking the ribbon cable off at both ends and refitting.

The IDE port - try uninstalling from Device Mangler and letting Windows re-install it.

Or there may be a software issue which has changed the registry. See here for the fix

click here

DieSse 13:44 21 Nov 08

Sorry - I see it's a laptop, so try the Registry fix first.

BIGKREM 14:04 21 Nov 08

As I said I have tried uninstalling then restarting windows, which attempts to re-nstall but gives a message saying a problem occured whilst trying to install the evice driver, code 37 !!

skidzy 14:57 21 Nov 08

Read my post and try the Doug Knox fix or the registry edit click here

BIGKREM 15:06 21 Nov 08

Cheers skidzy, just flashin up my PC so i can print the instructions, will let you you how I get on

skidzy 15:25 21 Nov 08

there is a chance your windows driver is corrupt.I do not think my above fix will sort this issue but certainly worth a try.

However a couple of options for you;

First run the System File Checker;

start and select RUN
Now type exactly the below

SFC /SCANNOW

And enter,you may need your windows disc.If xp was preinstalled this may not be needed.

Follow the prompts,then follow the below.You may need to reboot after running SFC for changes to have affect.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again. You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware manufacturer’s Web site.

1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
2. Restart your computer.
3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

BIGKREM 15:27 21 Nov 08

Nah, none of the filters were shown, uess the drive may be kaput!

BIGKREM 15:31 21 Nov 08

Ok skidzy, running scan right now, fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…