DVD/CD drive wont read disks, & driver wont update

lewis187 21:45 03 Aug 05

Recently my dvd/cd writer stopped recognising blank media and now does not even recognise anything. I cannot system restore as my restore points get deleted after each month and we have only just entered August so I have few restore points. I downloaded the driver update for my drive from click here and used the program to download the updates for my drive 'DVDRW-IDE1008', then when i clicked on upgrade to install the updates it says "Execute command errorA!! 5/20/ 0
Flashing is incorrect!!" I have no idea what this means and as this is my only hope for getting my drive to work again i would appreciate any help, or suggestions on how else to fix the drive. Thanks a lot.

DieSse 21:58 03 Aug 05

"and as this is my only hope for getting my drive to work again"

i can't imagine why you think that, as it was working OK previously.

What you are trying to do is NOT a driver - CDs and DVD drives do not require drivers, other than the ones built-in to Windows. What you are trying to do is update the firmware inside the drive - clearl this is not faulty, or the drive would never have worked.

If your drive will not recognise anything - I suggest as a first step, borrow a drive from elsewhere and try it out - it seems quite possible your drive has simply failed.

Before you do that, just check inside that the cable that feeds it is still firmly plugged in at each end - both the drive and the motherboard - also the power cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:00 03 Aug 05

Sounds more like a firmware update then a driver update?

Firmware update is last resort.

First

1. uninstall and reinstall IDE chanels in device manager.

Then

2. check ribbon cable firmly pushed in motherboard

3. power cable firm in drive.

4. check ribbon cable firmly pushed in rear of drive

5. IDE controller enabled in BIOS

lewis187 22:19 03 Aug 05

"1. uninstall and reinstall IDE chanels in device manager.
5. IDE controller enabled in BIOS"

How do I do those two things?

"it seems quite possible your drive has simply failed."
Do you mean to say i need a new drive as this one is possibly finished and there is nothing i can do? Can i not get it fixed by the manufacturer or anything?

DieSse 22:32 03 Aug 05

"Can i not get it fixed by the manufacturer or anything"

Is it under warranty?

They cost so little these days that repairs are totally uneconomic. Examples click here

Stuartli 09:05 04 Aug 05

See this Microsoft Support page:

click here

Stuartli 09:07 04 Aug 05

CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters only require the basic Windows CDROM driver which is installed automatically - it's burning programs such as Nero that do the work...:-)

Stuartli 09:08 04 Aug 05

If your (almost certainly unnecessary) firmware update has gone pearshaped, then the drive is most likely only fit for the refuse collectors...:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…