DVD/CD Drive - broken?

johnincrete 08:21 27 Jan 11

My DVD/CD read/write drive will read & play DVDs & CDs but when I try to burn a CD, WMP & Nero keep asking for a blank CD even though there is a brand new one in the drive.
I have burnt several hundreds of CDs & DVDs in the 3 years I have had the drive.
Is it time to replace or is there some sort of setting that needs fixing.

gengiscant 08:36 27 Jan 11

Its probably not worth the trouble of trying to fix your optical drive.I would replace it myself.

northumbria61 11:58 27 Jan 11

Download and try Ashampoo Burning Studio from here click here From the list there is Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 which is FREE or Ash.B.S.10 with a 30/40 day trial. May just work for you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:49 27 Jan 11
  johnincrete 11:49 02 Feb 11

I bought a new drive but, before I installed it, I rechecked and the problem has gone away!
Maybe if anyone else has this problem, the first step should be to reboot.
Incidentally, the man at the shop said that these drives don't last much longer than the 1-year guarentee.

northumbria61 14:09 02 Feb 11

"Incidentally, the man at the shop said that these drives don't last much longer than the 1-year guarentee." - That's about it John - mass produced - cheap as chips - but then it all depends on how often you use it. I have worked out that mine should last about 20yrs !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017