DVD/CD & CDRW Drives not working

tunny 21:50 18 Aug 03

for some reason both my drives are failing to read any cd's that I put in them.Am I right in that winxp my os, contains built in software for burning cd,s.Both drives are listed ok in hardware manager with working properly messages. I could understand one giving up the ghost but both together makes me think something is amiss.The DVD/CD is a Mat*!@:a SR-8584A, which turns out to be a Panasonic and they say it is supported by XP and I dont need drivers. The CDRW is a Mitsumi CR-4804 TE and they say pretty much the same.So where should I be looking for causes and fixes.

jospar 22:40 18 Aug 03

When you say about not reading disks, am I asuming right you mean disks that you've burnt or ANY,

Yes XP does have it's own cd-r/w burning abilities. But if you also got something like easy cd loaded has well, these sometimes cause conflicks between them, try either unistallling your own burning software and see if this makes a difference, or try disabling the XP burning software.

Have you tried restoring XP back to a know time/date that you know that it was reading cd o.k.

P.S not 100% sure but I don't think XP can burn dvds, you might need to have separate burning software for this?

tunny 13:03 19 Aug 03

Sorry should have been clearer. It's not reading any cd's at all. Both drives just seem to be unable to read the cd's.I'm trying to load the software that came with my new wireless keyboard & mouse. Although my son pointed this problem out to me a couple of days ago. Sadly I dont have restore point turned on, and in the light of this new virus maybe it was a good thing or not?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…