DVD/CD Burn vs Drag & Drop

daisy2bell 08:20 23 Jan 05

I've often wondered, what are the advantages of burning data to a DVD or CD as opposed to just Drag & Drop.
Up until now I've always used drag & Drop even for important files etc. Would it be safer if these were Burnt.
If I use the Burn route and save a file to DVD / CD and at a later stage modify this file and burn it to the same disk, would the original file on disk be overwritten, or would I end up with 2 files.
Thanks

TomJerry 11:26 23 Jan 05

you can do drag and drop because you have some sort of "packet writting" software installed. In this kind of situation, computer just treat CD/DVD as a big floppy disc and you normally need to format disc before you use it.

packet writting software: Roxio use DirectCD, Nero uses InCD, NTI, FileCD, Sonic DLA, I do not know others

as for overwrite, yes new file overwrite old becuase it is the same as a flopy, small difference for R and RW diskcs, for RW discs, file is overwritten so space are reused, for R discs, old files are destoryed and new files written and the space used by old files is wasted because R cannot be re-written

only disadvantage I see in this method is that all packet writting softwares are incompitable, so the CD you produced in you PC cannot be read in another PC unless another PC has the same software installed or you have closed (finalised) disc.

by the way: CD/DVD disc used in computer can only be burnt, so it is alway burn no matter what method you used

daisy2bell 14:20 23 Jan 05

Thanks TomJerry.

I didn't realise that Drag & Drop is also "burnt"

"only disadvantage I see in this method is that all packet writting softwares are incompitable, so the CD you produced in you PC cannot be read in another PC unless another PC has the same software installed or you have closed (finalised) disc."

I have already found this out, and have had to instal the same software on both computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…