DVD writers which package?

Sheriff Rossco P Coltraine 16:30 15 Aug 04

I currently looking into purchaseing a DVD writer as they are now extrmely well priced ;-)

However, having trawled around the different stores (on-line) there is a big difference in price and I would imagine a big difference in what you get e.g some are listed as 'OEM' or 'retail package'? What Im looking for is a Drive that includes all fixings, instructions etc and most importantly software i.e Nero6.

So, if someone could explain what the terminoligy means and point out which package has what im looking for I would be very greatfull

buscrew 17:04 15 Aug 04

Then you'd be better of with a retail package.

Sheriff Rossco P Coltraine 17:06 15 Aug 04

so the retail package will have everything in the box? + software?

stalion 18:50 15 Aug 04

best to check what software is included on the packaging it varies a lot some have software included and some do not

Sheriff Rossco P Coltraine 18:56 15 Aug 04

thats one of the problems really, on the sites like dabs.com they list the specs of the drive but not anything about what is included in the box, like what software there is etc. This is the same for both the OEM and retail packages.

vinnyT 12:02 16 Aug 04

Go to the drive makers site eg. lite-on and input the model of the drive you are looking at, it should then display the specs of the drive and the software suppliedwith it. If the site has a uk webpage, then use this for the most upto date info.

cga 12:22 16 Aug 04

The other thing to consider is what you want to use your DVD writer for. If it is just data then almost any software will do the job. If you want to do video editing then you may need to consider more carefully.

Nero6 is a good general purpose package that will do most tasks but may not do some as well as you would like. There has been a lot of problems and issues raised (on this forum) about Nero6 but I have been lucky and not suffered - but then I dont push its abiliites too far.

A Retail Package will normally come complete with software.

I've recently bought a Liteon 812S from Novatech and that came with PowerDVD & Sonic MyDVD (which includes RecordNow), plus 2 blank DVD Media (1xDVD-R & 1xDVD+R).

stylehurst 14:26 16 Aug 04

Novatech is always worth a look, if you click on the specification it will tell you what is included in the way of software.
Price-wise they are usually amongst the cheapest, and after sales service is always very good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…