DVD writer - what software do I need

scotty 09:24 28 Nov 03

I am planning to buy a DVD writer. Primary use will be to create DVDs from camcorder tapes but I also want the ability to create data DVDs (data back-ups etc.). I have Nero version 5 and Easy CD creator (version 4 I think) for CD Writing. For Video editing I have Studio version 8.

I know Studio should work for all my video editing but I have seen many reports of problems creating DVDs with Studio. Some recommend using a separate package to create DVDs.

Do I need additional software to work with DVDs?

I had been planning on getting the LG 4040b but the software which comes with the retail version is not the best. Does anyone know of any good offers of software bundled with DVD writers?

Hyperangelic 09:31 28 Nov 03

you'd do better to buy the LG4040B or any of the other dual or multi format drives, throw the bundled software out, and spend the money on a good high-end authoring and burning software.

Most of the bundled software is aimed at the average desktop consumer, is often rewritten by the drive manufacturer for their drive, and in some cases, will not be supported by the original software company. If you really want to do a good job, I'd advised spending the money on a good retail software.

stlucia 11:12 28 Nov 03

In my experience, the video capture and editing software doesn't necessarily do a good job of burning to CD or DVD.

I use Roxio for burning to CDs, and Sonic MyDVD for DVDs, after having created the appropriate MPEG files using my video software (Pinnacle).

Incidentally, the above burning software came bundled with my HP CD burner and my Sony DVD burner, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend throwing away the bundled software. I'm not sure about your Nero, but you'll certainly have to upgrade your Easy CD Creator (now sold as Roxio) if you want to use it for burning DVDs.

tenplus1 11:49 28 Nov 03

If you already have Nero 5.5 then pop by their website and get the latest update and it'll handle DVD writing for both movies and data without any problems...

As for DVD creation, check out Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2.0 at click here ... This is a top class program, very easy to use in creting movies and even burns DVD's for you...

scotty 13:48 28 Nov 03

Thank you all for your responses.

I have Nero 5.5 so it sounds as if I do not need any additional software. I can save a few pounds by buying the OEM version of the 4040 which does not include the software.

P.S. Did you know that twelve plus one is an anagram of eleven plus two?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…