DVD Writer Samsung SH-S203P SATA does not operate

Chough39 18:14 17 May 09

DVD Writer Samsung SH-S203P SATA does not operate. No disk inserted in the drive will play. The drive is recognised and is indicated to be working correctly. Right clicking shows the Properties tag, and “Eject” operates. If one clicks on the drive icon in “My Computer” I am informed that the program “My Computer” is not responding, clicking to end the program makes the computer freeze up. OS is Windows XP Home Basic. Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI. I have tried the following:

1)All connections and sockets have been verified.
2)Disconnected the drive, rebooted, re-connected the drive and the drive has been found.
3)Run MS Autoreplay Wizard, this says that there is a problem with the Autoplay V2 event and that the device is either malfunctioning or a problem exists which it cannot determine.
4) Checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and there are no Upperfilters or Lowerfilters values.
5)This drive has already been replaced by the supplier and neither has worked, but behaved in a similar manner. It would seem unlikely that I have received two defective drives.
6)Antivirus and Malware programmes run (BitDefender)

Any suggestions as to the solution please, they would be very much appreciated?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 17 May 09

Run Regedit
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer.
Delete the Key "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"
Reboot the Computer.

Also try a reinstall of SATA drivers.

Chough39 21:51 17 May 09

I have deleted the key you mention Fruit Bat, no effect.
I next removed the drive from "Remove and Add Hardware" and then re-installed it and was informed that the drive was then ready to use. this has not worked I am afraid. Any more ideas please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:21 17 May 09

not the drive
but the SATA drivers.

Technotiger 22:28 17 May 09

If none of the above work - try the simple solution, run a DVD Cleaning disc in the drive. Even if the drive is new, you probably have no idea of how long it has been sitting around on the shelf.

Chough39 22:48 17 May 09

How do I remove the SATA Drivers please?

Chough39 22:54 17 May 09

How do I remove the SATA Drivers please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 17 May 09

If not showing in device manager then may not be a good idea to remove if your hard drives are also sata the machine may not boot.

gazzaho 04:33 18 May 09

One thing I feel worth mentioning is that in June last year when I bought my new computer with a Asus Rampage formula based motherboard, I had two separate Samsung DVD writers, different models, from different vendors fail. Both failed within a day or so of usage and both where reported as fine in Vista, a firmware update also wouldn't fix the problem.

When I contacted the computer supplier they informed me that they where getting a 10% failure rate with the Asus board and Samsung drives for some reason. I can't be sure if this was the truth or just an excuse, but two drives from different sources makes me think it was, especially as the replacement they sent me was a Pioneer SATA drive and it's worked fine since I installed it.

I'm not suggesting that you have exactly the same problem as I did as we have different motherboards, but it might be worth considering as they're from the same manufacturer.

If possible, changing to another brand of drive might fix the problem.

Chough39 08:58 18 May 09

Thanks for the comment gazzaho, I have been having my suspicions.

Chough39 09:01 18 May 09

Fruit Bat, the drive is shown in the device manager, the hard drives are SATA.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…