DVD Writer Problem

SonnyB 10:05 06 Jun 07

I have an Advent laptop with a dvd writer that has worked fine up until now. It plays dvd's without problem but when I try to burn a disc it does not see anything in the drive.
Does anyone know why this would happen. I have only had the machine since January so it is still under guarantee, but I would welcome any suggestions please.
Thanks,

xania 10:35 06 Jun 07

Is this the first time you have tried writing a DVD? Do you get any specific error message? What OS are you using? There is a known problem with some DVD devices, DVD+R and Windows XP SP2.

SonnyB 14:04 06 Jun 07

Thanks for your response. i have used the writer many times. The error message says there is nothing in the drive. I am using vista. In the past I have used +R discs but now I am using -R, though I am sure it has worked on some, but now it just does not see them, though it plays dvd's fine.

xania 14:08 07 Jun 07

Strangely enough I am having the same problems in XP Pro SP2, but in this case, its never worked. Has the problem arisen since installing Vista? Have you tried dual booting in SP2? I suspect that some of the drivers may not be fully compliant with upgraded OS's. I am doing my own research on my problem at present. Once I find out more, I'll let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos