DVD writer problem

TMC2004 14:45 05 Feb 05

Have have 2 queries:-

1. What does DVD +/- RW mean? particularly the + and - bit?

2. I've just had a 16x rewriter installed but I cannot believe how slow it it. Last night it took about 4.5 hours to record a film lasting 1.5 hours..!!! Talk about watching paint dry..!! Anyway, I keft it running over night and came back in the morning to see that the burn had failed..!!! After all that..!!

Can anybody please confirm whether the speed can be speeded up..???

Many thanks

MichelleC 15:51 05 Feb 05

Can't help on 1, but turn all non-vital background progs off (av, firewall, system restore etc) to speed the render/burn, and make sure DMA is enabled on all drives.

TMC2004 16:05 05 Feb 05

Thanks MicheleC, daft question this. But how do I enable DMA?

Thanks

ACOLYTE 16:12 05 Feb 05

Open device manager then click the + next to IDE controllers highlight this and select properties
this should give you a box with primary/secondary
chanels select secondary and see what the transfer mode is set to.

TMC2004 18:52 05 Feb 05

Ok thanks for that info. After following Acolyte's instruction, the window shows the following:-

Device 0
Device Type: Auto detection
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: PIO mode

Device 1
Device Type: Auto detection
Transfer mode: DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode: Not applicable

Do I have the best settings? I have no idea about this? Thanks

Noelg23 18:57 05 Feb 05

amongst all that you didnt say what program u used to burn the DVD? was it Nero or something else?

ACOLYTE 19:04 05 Feb 05

Not sure but i think that PIO mode is the lower setting for the burner,i think you need to change this is there a box that says let bios select transfer mode? if this isnt ticked you should be able to change the setting in the drop down box to one of the others mine is set at Ultra DMA2-Ultra33 on both drives,im not saying yours will have that setting,but im pretty sure PIO mode wont do you any favours when copying.

FelixTCat 19:10 05 Feb 05

DVD+ and DVD- are competing formats for writing DVDs. A drive that can only write DVD- must have DVD- disks. Similarly for DVD+. Many (but not all) drives are compatible with both. Thus you can use either DVD+ or DVD- blank disks. Each claims to be better than the other. RW is similar, except that the disks can be erased and reused (RW = rewritable).

The fact that your drive can write at 16x does not mean it will. Blank disks are marked electronically with their maximum write speed and the writer detects this and sets itself accordingly through the burning software. If you are burning to a 1x disk, the maximum speed will be 1x

It sounds as if the blank disk you are using is either not compatible with your burner, or you had a bad disk. Disk incompatibility is not unusual, particularly with unbranded disks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:18 05 Feb 05

What does DVD +/- RW mean? particularly the + and - bit?

These are three different kinds of DVD disc
your player will work with all three.

+ / - disc are write once. Cannot be changed after burning data to them.

RW are write many times if using correct package writing software INCD from nero is one. You can use the DVD as if it were another Hard drive.

PIO is far too slow CD and DVD should be set to UltraDMA2

Re-enable DMA using the Registry Editor

Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. Check the DriverDesc value to see which one it is.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected.

Open Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, congratulations, you've made it (at least until the next time Windows disables DMA).

Alternative Method—Uninstalling the Port
1. Uninstall the secondary IDE port
To do that, open Device Manager as follows. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, right-click on Secondary IDE Channel, click on Uninstall. Deactivating is not enough.

Reboot to make the changes active and permanent.

After booting Windows will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the DVD (or CD) drive. This Plug-n-Play process can take a little while, so give it a minute after the boot process finishes.

2. Reactivate DMA
But this is not enough, because unfortunately Windows does not automatically activate DMA on a DVD or CD drive. You have to tell Windows to try to use DMA first.

For that, go to Device Manager again. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, double-click on the secondary IDE channel, click on Extended Settings and change the relevant setting from PIO only to DMA when available.

On Windows NT and 2000 you now have to reboot a second time, but Windows XP applies the change instantly. Then you can go to the same place in Device Manager again and check whether the device is now actually using DMA mode. If so, all is well.

Desensitize Your Computer's IDE Channels
There's a bit more to it. The following article offers a way to reduce the incidence of this problem, although it still doesn't solve it altogether.

IDE ATA and ATAPI Disks Use PIO Mode After Multiple Time-Out or CRC Errors Occur
click here

Do read this article because it contains a useful long-term workaround. But you have to go through the procedure described here to re-enable DMA first. Assuming you've done that, insert the ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess registry values mentioned in this article into both the primary and the secondary IDE port registry keys as described.

Unfortunately this is only a half solution, because when you enter an unreadable DVD, you will get 6 errors in a row, and the IDE channel will revert to PIO mode, but at least when you pull out the DVD in time and then insert a good one, the error counter will be reset and it will at least be a bit more difficult for Windows to hobble your IDE drive.

TMC2004 20:01 05 Feb 05

Noelg23
I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I'm using Nero Vision Express 2.

Fruit Bat /\0/Well what can I say? Thanks a lot for your instructions. I followed them all to the letter. In the secondary IDE properties section device 0 set itself to Ultra DMA Mode but device 1 says Not Applicable. Anyway, I tried burning on a DVD+R 16x. 2 movies totalling 3 hours 10 mins were going to take 6.5 hours to complete..!!
Can that really be considered a reasonale time to take? I just cant believe that. I think 3.5 is acceptable but not twice that. Please help? Thanks.

goonerbill © ® 02:16 06 Feb 05

if your dvd writer is x16 speed and you are using x16 speed blank disks, you should be able to write a 2hr movie in 7/8 minutes.

also are you trying to copy your own movies (home)or copy bought dvd's, as this can cause problems with nero and can lead to burn failures. there are other copying dvd programs available which will copy bought movies but due to legal things i had best not mention them in the forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…