DVD Writer prob

willo500 23:37 19 Mar 04

Hi

I installed a plextor 780A DVD Writer on my pc today and tried to burn a DVD+R disk. It seemed to do this all right but when I tried to play it on the drive neither Windows Media player or Power DVD would do it. I got an error message saying it had to close and did I want to send an error report to microsoft.
I run XP home. Can you help?

willo500 00:40 20 Mar 04

sorry the drive is a 708 not 780

y_not 04:10 20 Mar 04

What was the error message?

What had you burnt to the DVD? i.e. film/data.

What file format did you use - .avi .mpeg1

willo500 09:53 20 Mar 04

This was a video taken on my Digital Video camera and edited and burned using Pinnacle Studio 8. I believe it used MPEG2 though I'm not totally sure.

The error message is just "Media player has encountered a problem and needs to close". I have this problem with both WMP and Power DVD which I have had installed on my pc for a while but I notice on the Roxio DVDMAX Player which I got with my DVD Writer and installed this morning it works fine.

The format I have used is DVD+R.

Is it possible that I need to reconfigure the older players to recognise the new hardware?

All help gratefully appreciated.

willo500 10:15 20 Mar 04

Oh and I've just found out that shop bought DVDs won't play on WMP or Power DVD either but do fine on Roxio. Seems like there's something I need to do to configure the players already on my pc before I installed the drive.

willo500 13:58 20 Mar 04

Anyone?

struggle8 14:18 20 Mar 04

WMP will play shop brought DVD`s just go into the setting under filre type tick DVD

Smiler 14:22 20 Mar 04

Is it possible that roxio has overwritten a file or files used by the other programs and this is stopping them working.

Try restoring to a point before you installed roxio and see if the programs work then.

willo500 14:30 20 Mar 04

No guys the problem occured before I installed roxio but after i installed the new drive. Prior to this WMP played DVDs on my old drive without problems.

Smiler 14:38 20 Mar 04

Does WMP need an update to recognise your drive?

Smiler 14:45 20 Mar 04

Have a look here for cyberlink power dvd patches

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…