dvd writer ? OEM

zebbydog 18:18 06 Sep 03

I am going to buy a Sony dvd writer, i would like any views on a DRU 500a £193 or a DW-U10a OEM version at £130.
I have been told they are both the same, any advice whitch to go for please.

Thanks in advance Zebby

zebbydog 19:55 06 Sep 03

Am also lookig at the Pioneer 106

Rayuk 20:00 06 Sep 03

Cannot see how they are the same with a £63 price difference.

Have heard that you can update the firmware to bring it up to 500a standard but cannot confirm that for definite.

Rayuk 20:14 06 Sep 03

Click on the relevant writer and it will give you the info regarding the firmware updates
click here

The Sack 21:17 06 Sep 03

Why not get the Liteon DVD+RW retail box? it is only 90 quid and you will probably find you end up using nothing but +R media anyway. It also does CD-R media at 40x and CD-RW at 24x.

click here

Stuartli 21:25 06 Sep 03

The only difference between an OEM product (more usually supplied to system builders) is that they don't come in a fancy box, graphics cards for instance will have no drivers and there will be no software.

You don't need a driver for a rewriter or CD/DVD-ROM drive, you can get firmware from the manufacturer's website, there's plenty of suitable freeware software and you don't need a fancy box, so save money...:-)

Stuartli 21:26 06 Sep 03

The Pioneer 106 is £128 at BlankDiscShop.

zebbydog 21:49 06 Sep 03

Have decided on the Pioneer 106 or the Sony DW-U10a dvd writer.
Any body out there got 1 of these and if so how do you rate it. cheers Zebby

Antz 21:56 06 Sep 03

I wish there was an easy way to tell everyody to visit click here This website will answer a lot of queries posted on this forum including this one.Having said all that the site was down yesterday and I haven't tried today yet

The Sack 22:20 06 Sep 03

OEM graphics cards are normaly clocked lower than there retail counterparts BTW.

As the Liteon burner i mentioned is a retail box that comes with a 4x DVD+R a 4X DVD+RW and the burnining software but cost only 90 quid do you still think it is not worth it? Buying a dual format writer isnt worth it, -R is a dead duck in the water.

zebbydog 22:30 06 Sep 03

Any one else agree with the Sack

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…