DVD Writer and lock ups

gecko1001 13:14 27 Dec 05

I have a NEC ND-3540A DVD writer which I think is locking up my PC.

This happens mostly after I have burned a disk and I try quiting Nero, but the odd time it also happens half way through a burn session.

Also I am getting lock ups when using CD check to compare the burned disk with the original files, before I erase the originals off the PC.

Now last night I also got a lock up when using Norton Anti virus and adware, but I still feel the problem lies with the DVD burner.

I have by the way to try and get over the problem, upgraded the firmware on the burner, but that has made no difference.

I did a few weeks ago, I had soem problems with my drive reverting to POI, so I hacked the registery to get it back to DMA if available, just wondering if this is where my problem lies, in this action.

Any help would be much appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 27 Dec 05

enter an unreadable DVD, you will get 6 errors in a row, and the IDE channel will revert to PIO mode

IDE ATA and ATAPI Disks Use PIO Mode After Multiple Time-Out or CRC Errors Occur
click here

got a lock up when using Norton Anti virus and adware

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Confab 14:03 27 Dec 05

Use Nero Info tool to check your drives firmware version. If it's earlier that verion 1.03 then you can download the updated version from here click here

I had some problems with my drive and they were solved by updating the firmware

gecko1001 17:44 28 Dec 05

Done all above already, any other ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…