DVD Writer installation problems

bill sykes 16:48 18 Nov 06

Hi, I have bought (ebay) and installed a new NEC 4550A dvd rewriter and have yet to be able to successfully write to a dvd, using Nero 6 or ImgBurn. Even upgrading the firmware did not help. I have however managed to waste many dvds in the process. Instead of going into the many errors that I've had (because I'm now completely confused by all this), and before I consign it to the dustbin, can I please ask one question regarding dvd writer installation? Should I use an 80-way 40 pin connector instead of the standard 40-way? Might it make a difference? Thanks for any help you can give.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:13 18 Nov 06

Should I use an 80-way 40 pin connector instead of the standard 40-way

Yes

Have as master on secondary IDE channel. Do not have as slave on same IDE chnnel as primary hard drive.

xania 17:17 18 Nov 06

No - the 40 pin is fine. However, you're not the first to have problems. You might find this tip helpful

click here.

bill sykes 16:03 19 Nov 06

Yes? No? Interesting! But seriously, thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
The thread you gave me I had seen before but I'd never reallly understood what they meant by 'replace the busmaster drivers by windows XP's native ones.' So I'll try a new 80-way cable and if that doesn't work then I'll put it down to bad luck on my part. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple