DVD Writer installation

craneman01 22:28 18 Nov 03

help Guys!

I have a DVD Rom drive & a CD rewriter on my computer.
In my infinite wisdom I have decide I will order a DVD burner which is now winging its way to me.

THE QUESTION
what is the best way to install this. Remove one of the existing drives & install the the new unit in its place. Or fit it in a spare bay & connect it up somehow if there are no potential conflicts. PS its a LG 4040b unit if anyone could give any info on the unit, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Cretin07 22:32 18 Nov 03

theres no point in having 3 drives so i say remove one is the best idea. and i'dremove the dvd rom as it doesnt do much, and you can watch dvd with the other 2. if that is master or slave on secondary ide channel then set as appropriate.

Cretin07 22:33 18 Nov 03

an alternate would be to have three drives where then you connect as slave on the primary ide channel along with your harddrive, that is if you dont have 2 harddrives.

Cretin07 22:34 18 Nov 03

oo btw by putting the writer on slave on primary with your harddrives ribbon, it will be slower for the drive and hdd so i dont recommend this as much as my first idea.

y_not 05:14 19 Nov 03

I had the same dilemma when my DVD arrived.

I decided to keep the CD writer (slave) and DVD writer (Master) but had all sorts of problems.

Now I use just the DVD writer (which reads CD's & DVD's, writes CD's & DVD's, plays VCD's, SVCD's & DVD's) have no conflicts (which didn't show up in Device Manager) and a lot less wiring in an overcrowded tower!

The Spires 05:54 19 Nov 03

I have no problems running my DVD writer as master & a Cd writer as slave along with two hard drives on the other channel. I find the DVD writer I have is rather slow at burning Cd's so I kept the Cd burner.

Stuartli 08:05 19 Nov 03

As rewriters are far less robust than CD/DVD-ROM drives, it's best to keep the CD/DVD-ROM drive exclusively for audio and DVD playing, plus software installation, and use the rewriter purely for burning purposes.

Even a cursory glance at manufacturers' specifications for rewriters will indicate that longevity is not as good as straightforward ROM drives.

alcudia 10:31 19 Nov 03

I agree with Stuartli. Keep the existing rom drive, and replace the cd-rw. The new drive will burn cd's as well as dvd's, and you keep the stability of the rom.

Go to device manager and uninstall the existing drive, then shut down. Open the machine and take it out, noting what cables went where. Check that the jumper settings on the new drive match those of the old. Fix the new one, connect up the cables and away you go. Did this yesterday, no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…