DVD Writer installation

andros 20:29 07 Oct 03

I installed a pioneer dvd writer for my nephew on his amd athlon 2400 running XP Pro but sometimes the dvd-rom won't read a dvd he wants to copy,I've tried deleting and re-instlling both dvd-rom and dvd-writer,changing slave/master combination and putting the writer on it's own cable trying varios disks etc,I thought it was just a matter of plug n play.Is there some basic steps I've missed

Lozzy 20:34 07 Oct 03

Have you checked the Jumpers??

Have you made it the primary DVD/CD Player??

What burning software are you using?? and version??

What cabling have you used??

andros 21:33 07 Oct 03

Jumpers ok!Tried the writer as slave and master.
Using dvdXcopy Express 'DVD Writer installation'Ver3 And Roxio Easy cd & dvd creator 6.Tried single ribbon and double cable

gudgulf 22:21 07 Oct 03

What Happens if you Disconnect the dvd writer?

Does the dvd rom drive read discs that were a problem now?-perhaps there is a problem with the rom drive

Have you tried copying a dvd to the hard drive using the dvd writer instead of the rom drive,and then burning it from there?

PA28 22:37 07 Oct 03

Is this a Pioneer 106? I'm having similar problems, but I know the drive's ok as it will work OK in another machine. I've had the most success with Nero 6. See if you can get any joy from Pioneer - I haven't been able to!

andros 00:18 08 Oct 03

The only way we could copy, was to copy to the hard drive using the pioneer writer and write to disk using roxio classic

y_not 06:04 08 Oct 03

Take out the DVD-ROM drive!

I had the same problems with an NEC DVD writer, eventually found out (by mistake) that there seems to be some sort of conflict with the DVD-ROM, nothing shows up in Windows; just a mass of errors including screen freezes, discs not read, burn errors, playback jumps etc, etc.

Either copy via the HDD or, if you want to make several copies, copy an image to the HDD and burn that

Hyperangelic 10:11 08 Oct 03

You can get conflicts between drives, but you can usually sort it out with a bit of repositioning.

You need to make sure the jumpers are correct. Put your burner in as Master on the secondary IDE, and if possible put the DVD-ROM as Slave on the primary IDE with the HDD.

Copying via the HDD is always a good bet though, as you have a much better chance of getting a good-quality copy that way. Copying on the fly can bring in all sorts of little problems.

bananaslik 18:45 08 Oct 03

Andros,i had the same problem & found it to be the software.I'm now using stomp record now max & it hasn't failed me yet.
good luck

andros 20:40 08 Oct 03

Thank you all for your suggestions,I'll try them out when I see him and let you know

andros 20:23 19 Oct 03

Having tried everything you advised,I tend to side with 'bananaslik'and think it is a software problem The nephew is now using CLONEDVD and seems to have no problems copying on the fly or from the hard drive.Thank you all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…