dvd writer firmware update

martd77 16:37 20 Dec 06

dvd writers:
pioneer dvdrw-110d 16x
liteon dvdrw-1635s 8x
I regularly purchase dvd-r from online stockists and never had any problems until now!
The 16x dvd-rs would not write above 8x in the pioneer and wrote at max 8x in the lite on.I emailed the suppliers to ask why the discs wouldnt write above 8x in the pioneer and was advised to update the firmware which i duly did on the pioneer.Unfortunately having done this a get a "power calibration error" never had one of those before,stranger still the same error on the liteon which has not been updated.
Different media i tried work ok in both units,can anyone explain whats happened here?
thanks

Gongoozler 17:15 20 Dec 06

From the Nero site - Power calibration error can be cured / caused by

* Update the firmware of your recorder. Please check the manufacturer's website for the latest version.

* Try another brand of CD-R or CD-RW media.

* Try different power connectors, and for recorders, do not share power with other devices. It needs its own power connector. If the error occurs with an external recorder, the power source in the chassis could be the cause. As a test, try to take the recorder out of the external chassis and connect it internal.

* Try different configurations, such as taking the CD-ROM to the primary IDE bus as slave and have only the recorder connected to the secondary IDE bus as master.

* Send the recorder in for service.

Also can be caused by dust on the lens

AndySD 17:17 20 Dec 06

You may want to try reinstalling ot updting your motherboard drivers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 20 Dec 06

Power Calibration
There are two common causes for power calibration errors.
Low Quality Media
At the start of each burn the drive will burn to a small section the the disc to adjust the laser power for the media being used. Low quality media is inconsistent and will frequently give hit or miss results during the power calibration. AN32, CMC and Moser Baer are common low quality media.
Keep in mind that many of the brands of media aren't actually made by the company selling them. To find out who actually manufactured the media you can use DVD Identifier.
click here
Some of the best makes of media to try are Ritek G04/G05, Verbatim Metal AZO, Maxell and Taiyo Yuden.
The only recourse for power calibration errors with low quality media is to update the firmware for your drive and hope it works. Here's a link to the best firmware page to be found:
click here
If you've never flashed a drive before I highly suggest checking out the forums there and read up on the process before attemting anything.
Your Burner Is Dying
This one is self-explanatory.
If you're using quality media, your firmware is up to date and you're still recieving power calibration errors then your old drive is dying or your new drive is most likely defective.

If problem in Nero then:
1 on desktop click start
2 select control panel
3 click on administrative tools
4 click on services
5 browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE
6 right click (on IMAPI) then select properties
7 in the middle of the window it will say start up type.click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.
8 make sure you click APPLY
you should notice that Nero starts alot faster aswell.

martd77 22:10 20 Dec 06

cheers for all the info as in my post i have already updated the firmware as advised by the supplier,have tried two different types of media and they both work fine,the dye on the discs is a ritek go5 dye,somehow updating the firmware has rendered both writers useless with these discs,the supplier has offered a refund so i think ill go for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac