DVD Writer

sam 16:52 05 Sep 05

I have a computer which has a Pentium 2 (400MHz)
CPU. I have been told that I cannot add a DVD writer to it. Is this true or does anybody know of a suitable unit I could use.

deersam

Totally-braindead 16:59 05 Sep 05

click here if you go down to near the bottom of the specification you will see they recommend a 450mhz.

sam 19:15 05 Sep 05

The specification calls for Pentium 111 and I have only Pentium 11.

Thanks for trying.

Sam

Mark10 19:18 05 Sep 05

Sam - I bought a liteon DVD writer but not a dual layer one. It stated on the box that the spec was a 500Mhz P3, I'm useing a 350mhz P2 and it still works ok. No doubt it doesnt burn at the quoted speed but it works ok.

Totally-braindead 19:24 05 Sep 05

Sorry sam, it is possible it will work as it will depend on what you want to do with it. I would suggest that the speed they say you need is very conservative as they want to sell their DVD writer, its more likely that you'll need something like a 600mhz or above to really get any use out of it. If you want to use the DVD writer for anything to do with video them forget it as your PC is just not fast enough. If its for backing up files etc then it may work but having never seen anyone with a DVD writer in a PC of this speed then I can't comment further. If its for backing up files etc then what about a CD writer they are very cheap.

Stuartli 19:31 05 Sep 05

But you can use a DVD rewriter as a CD rewriter as well and it's future proofing at the same time...:-)

Stuartli 19:33 05 Sep 05

Some cheap DVD rewriters:

click here

Totally-braindead 19:37 05 Sep 05

Stuartli I know that a DVD writer can burn CDs as well but wasn't sure that they would actually run on a 400mhz PC seeing as they ask for a 450mhz. However as Mark10 has said his DVD writer works ok so there you are. Wonder why they say it needs a 450 if it'll run on a 350? Could it be something to do with being able to burn video DVDs?

Stuartli 19:48 05 Sep 05

I used my original TDK 12x CD rewriter with a 400MHz Celeron CPU and the burning speeds were right up to scratch and with a later 24x CyClone model.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…